1. Default Vegas-Yosemite-San Fran or other way around

Hi all

just wanted to ask what time of year would be best to take a 2-week break to see Vegas (inc. Grand Canyon), Yosemite NP and San Fran.

I'd like I think to drive between Vegas and San Fran and take around two-three days (including Yosemite) on the most scenic route - includign Death Valley.

Any advice on the trip you'd take and how long it would take by car? I understand that the Tioga Pass will be closed to May and this would be the most scenic route to take? We had thought about taking a trip in April while it's still reasonably cool!

Thanks

Brett

Default 2 days

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

LV to SF via DV and Yosemite is a solid two day trip, no matter when you go.

I would say Tioga Pass would be considered the "scenic route" by most, and you are correct that the route is typically closed from November until May, so you would have to find another route to make this trip in April.

If you have 3 days to make this trip, you could try heading up to Lake Tahoe, over the Sierras, and then back down to the Yosemite Valley, for a longer, but still very scenic trip. If you only have 2 days, you'd probably have to route yourself through Bakersfield, and Death Valley would be more challenging to fit in on the timeframe.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

LV to SF via DV and Yosemite is a solid two day trip, no matter when you go.

I would say Tioga Pass would be considered the "scenic route" by most, and you are correct that the route is typically closed from November until May, so you would have to find another route to make this trip in April.

If you have 3 days to make this trip, you could try heading up to Lake Tahoe, over the Sierras, and then back down to the Yosemite Valley, for a longer, but still very scenic trip. If you only have 2 days, you'd probably have to route yourself through Bakersfield, and Death Valley would be more challenging to fit in on the timeframe.
    Michael, you're a gent!
    Brett

Default Cool = snow!

Quote Originally Posted by BrettToo View Post
    just wanted to ask what time of year would be best to take a 2-week break to see Vegas (inc. Grand Canyon), Yosemite NP and San Fran.
    Late spring (May) is pretty ideal because all of the waterfalls will be spilling, but the heaviest flow is often later ~ July or so.
    I'd like I think to drive between Vegas and San Fran and take around two-three days (including Yosemite) on the most scenic route - includign Death Valley.
    Tioga Pass rarely opens before June -- be sure to read the threads about this route on the bottom of this page!

Mark