Default summer 2007 roadtrip

me and a couple friends (avrage age 17) want to go on a road trip during the end of next summer. we figured if we planned it we could get a 2 week road trip together with no hitches whatsoever. the only problem is we have never done anything like this and dont know anyone who has. i have read some of the stuff on this site. good stuff. but i wanted to hear from people who actualy have done this stuff. we have a basic plan, very basic mind you. its to head out from winstead ct in a van and head west, as far as we can get. then turn around after around a week. sounds fun i know. should be the experiance of a lifetime but id prefer us not to end up in some random town with no way of getting back home half way into it. basicaly what im asking is deos anyone know any tips/tricks for us to go by. thanks

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Going west

Hi and welcome the the RTA Forum!

but i wanted to hear from people who actualy have done this stuff.
    I'm a little confused here...This very forum features posts by thousands of experienced and unexperienced road trippers who've been on all kinds of trips like the project you described. You can find information on destinations, roads and tons of other stuff by using the Search function.

me and a couple friends (avrage age 17) want to go on a road trip during the end of next summer.
    Have you thought about where you are going to stay : motels, youth hostels? campgrounds? Many places will ask for I.D. so if you are under 18 or even under 21, maybe it would be a good idea to ask your parents to write a letter showing their consent to your activities. Even so, some places might refuse to let you stay there.

I don't want to be a downer but that's the way it is.:o( Personally, I began to travel by myself at the age of 16 and never had any trouble getting around, but I always acted responsible, reasonnable and been respectful on and out of the road. So your trip is doable, you just need to be aware of the restrictions and be responsible.

should be the experiance of a lifetime but id prefer us not to end up in some random town with no way of getting back home half way into it.
    I'm a little confused once again -- sorry about that -- but are you going to use your own van or are you referring to a hitch-hiking kind of trip? Because if you are using your own car there is no reason for you to get stuck and not be able to turn back, unless of course you have a mechanical problem. A AAA membership is a must on the road and you should also learn (if you don't already know) how to do basic repairs like fixing a flat tire. As for how to calculate when you can turn back, it depends on your driving pace. You could get as far as the west coast : Portland, San Francisco or L.A. but then you wouldn't have much time for visiting. You could also go a little bit closer from home (South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah) and spend more time visiting attractions along the way.

basicaly what im asking is deos anyone know any tips/tricks for us to go by.
    Tell us more about yourselves : your interests, your driving experience, the type of attractions you find appealing, etc. and we should be able to help you a little better!

Cheers!
    Gen

Default First timer

ts to head out from winstead ct in a van and head west
    Other than leaving from Winsted, CT, this sounds very similar to a plan I had in high school with three or four friends. Alas, we never made that trip. The idea then was to head to Lake Erie just to see what was there.

I don't know how far you've been up to this point in your life, but I would start the trip by heading out over the Catskills in New York, a gateway to the West, if you will.

Also, before you go, take this quiz. There are some good questions in there that will help you consider just what it is you want to strive for.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-03-2006 at 07:26 PM. Reason: fixed typo in link