1. Default My Gi-Normous west coast+ road trip

Hello,
    I am getting ready to take a roadtrip in the first part of November. I will start in Nebraska, head to southern California, and then out to Tennessee, and finally back to Nebraska. This sucker is gonna be HUGE!!! My plans are to hit Yellowstone on the way out, The California coast to Lompoc, stop and visit family. Then head down to LA and hit route 66 out to Oklahoma City, hop off there and cut across to Nashville to visit more family. After this I will head back to Nebraska.

I wanted to know if anyone knew any must stop points on this route. I plan on taking about 3 weeks to do the whole thing. Thanks for your suggestions!

Default Is this a solo adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by radioross View Post
    I am getting ready to take a roadtrip in the first part of November.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Sounds like quite an adventure!
    I will start in Nebraska, head to southern California, and then out to Tennessee, and finally back to Nebraska.
    That is quite a zig-zag -- is there any reason why you don't do the Tennessee leg first? That way you could spend more time in the west. What kind of vehicle will you be driving? Will this be a solo adventure? What kinds of things interest you? Scenry versus hot night spots, historical versus current culture?

Mark

3. Default post deployment roadtrip

That is quite a zig-zag -- is there any reason why you don't do the Tennessee leg first?
    I guess this really doesn't matter. My dad lives in the Nashville area, and my mom is in the Santa Barbara area.
    What kind of vehicle will you be driving?
    We will be driving my '96 Nissan Maxima
    Will this be a solo adventure?
    I am going with a buddy from my National Guard unit as soon as we get back from our deployment to Iraq.
    What kinds of things interest you? Scenry versus hot night spots, historical versus current culture?
    I am 25 and by buddy is 22, so we will probably like to hit the night spots, but we would like to see some good scenery too.

Really all I want to do is blow off some steam, have a good time, and see the parents while doing so.

Radio - all the way to Lompoc? One of the best perserved missions in California is found there. It's a pretty small town so easy to find. If you go all the way to Lompoc from across the country, don't miss this slice of CA history. If you have family there, might be fun to take everyone out there if you need a 'family activity'.

http://www.lompoc-ca.com/lpc/mission/index.shtml

http://parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=598

Also nearby is a road called Jalama Beach Rd (just to the south of town off Hwy 1) that goes along the base of Vandenburg AFB out to the beach. Really cool road (about 15 miles) and on out to the beach. All ranch land and extremely scenic.

Also nearby is Solvang, a cool little Danish town (wee bit touristy). It's also really small but good food :), there's a tiny motorcycle museum there too if you're into that sort of thing: http://www.motosolvang.com/index.html
    Here's all the pics I took there btw.

If you leave eastbound of of LA on way back, keep in mind you'll drive right by Joshua Tree NP and that also shouldn't be missed. Last time I did that, I circle north off the freeway, came in the north entrance and doubled back south and still was able to see it all in a matter of hours, then hit I-10 again and on my merry way.

Keep in mind it's November, might want to carry chains, or just keep an eye o the weather if plan on going over 4000 feet via passes.

Default Car Issues

Before you go, make sure to give your car a complete inspection and repair before hitting the road. This is true for all trips, but especially in your case.

First of all, while a 1996 car certainly isn't too old for a major trip, it is old enough where major problems can start popping up. Having those problems fixed at home is much easier than trying to repair them on the middle of a trip.

Second, and more importantly in your case, you've been away from your car for a while. Sitting Idle is not great for a car. The various fluids - in particular the fuel system - can break down and cause some problems, so if you've just left your car parked during your deployment, you'll want to get most of your fluids flushed. Even if your car has been driven while you've been gone, it will still be important to make sure that no problems have started to develop since you've last driven it on a regular basis.

Have a safe trip home, and have a great trip when you get back!

Default That is a place I have to go

Quote Originally Posted by pashnit View Post
    ...there's a tiny motorcycle museum there too
    I really enjoyed looking at all of those photos -- I had no idea such a place existed in Solvang.

Mark

7. Default thanks

I am getting some really good pointers on places to go and things to check out before I leave.

eastbound of of LA on way back, keep in mind you'll drive right by Joshua Tree NP
    What would you guys reccomend, hitting Joshua Tree and cutting out some of route 66, or taking 66 the whole way???

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by radioross; 10-02-2006 at 09:34 AM.

Default Driving Route 66

Quote Originally Posted by radioross View Post
    What would you guys reccomend, hitting Joshua Tree and cutting out some of route 66, or taking 66 the whole way???
    Driving the entire Route 66 has never offered much interest to me. I have driven hundreds of miles of it over the years, and I do have some favorite sections -- but the Lincoln Highway is more appealing to me.

But to get an idea of what you can expect -- check out our Route 66 page of web links and, in particular, the virtual trip put together here -- the creators of that site have created what is arguably the best Route 66 web site out there.

Mark

9. Default Lincoln Highway

-- but the Lincoln Highway is more appealing to me.
    I grew up 2 blocks from the stretch of this highway that goes through Grand Island, NE...

I thnk we have decided to head out to Nashville first, so we have a chance of seeing some fall colors.

Our plan for the way back is to go from SF to SLC, then to Denver. Does anyone know what the mountain passes will be like in the middle of Nov.?