1. Default Sacramento to Philadelphia

I'm packing the pick-up and heading to Philly. I plan to leave Sactown late October and would like to make a fun, fast trip. Any ideas?? thanks, erin

Tucson, AZ

Default Blind Advice

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The 'fast' part pretty much dictates that you stick to I-80 until just east of Cleveland and then continue on the Ohio and Pennsylvania Turnpikes (I-76) into Philly. That's just a shade under 2800 miles, so you can make it in 5 days if you really push it. For it to be 'fun', you'd have to add at least 2 or 3 days to that, but then you can take the time to stop and see places like the Great Salt Lake and salt flats, Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area, Cheyenne, the Oregon Trail, the Amana Colonies, Chicago, Cuyahoga Valley \National Park, and Pittsburgh among many others. Before anyone can be much more help than just reeling off possibilities, though, they'd need to know how much time you have, whether you'll be pulling a trailer or driving a truck, how far off the interstates you're willing to wander, and most of all, what YOU consider fun.

Erin - another quick suggestion is use Hwy 50 across Nevada instead of I-80. It isn't called the 'Loneliest Road in America' for nothin'. ;) The title alone is worth checking it out. It parallels the interstate all the way across Nevada if you decide to go that route. Just one of those things you have to cross off the list.

Keep in mind when you hit SW Utah, National Parks abound if you have any extra time in your "fast" trip. Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, north rim of Grand Canyon, etc.

Btw, make sure you carry chains. ;)