Default Vegas to the National Parks in Utah

Hi

Firstly I wanted to say what an absolutely fabulous website this is!! I'm from the UK and have been planning a road trip coast to coast across the US for the past few months with the help of this site. So thanks everyone for your input to my holiday!

I am currently on day 6 of the 41 days I have to cross the country, and have just made it to Las Vegas! I love this place - this will be my 9th visit!!!

Anyway I'm due to leave Vegas on Friday and will be heading into Utah to visit the Beaver Dam Mountains, Snow Canyon, Zion, Bryce and Arches NPs. I've used MS Streets and Trips to do most of the planning for the trip and am in the most part pretty satisfied with the routes it's planned.

However for the Vegas to Beaver Dam Mountains section it has me heading up the I-15 which I'm not keen on - I'm trying to avoid Interstates if possible. Does anyone know of any other route/s I can take instead of the I-15 which would be more scenic but wouldn't add hundreds of miles onto the journey?

Also would it be realistically possible to see the most/best parts of the Beaver Dam Mountains AND Snow Canyon in a day?

Thanks in advance for any help - it'd be much appreciated.

Julia

Default An Interstate to Enjoy

While an interstate doesn't give the same flavor that 2 lanes do, there is a case that sometimes the Interstate can provide something that you won't or can't get on a 2 lane highway.

This stretch of I-15 is one of those section that I think really can be enjoyed. The short stretch of this freeway in Arizona goes through the virgin river canyon, which you can't reach by 2 lane roads. Next to parts of I-70 in Colorado, this is probably my favorite section of Interstate in the US for its scenic value.

I can't think of any other good routes off hand, but this time, I'd stick to the Interstate. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I agree with you Midwest I70 through Colorado is a sight to see, the tunnels the cliffs and the river along with the vivid colors make that highway artwork

Default Minor detour!

Thanks for the advice Midwest Michael. I certainly see what you mean about that section of the I15 being particularly scenic!! We did take a slight detour on route 169 into Lake Mead National Rec Area but then rejoined the freeway.

We're in Cedar City today having just been to Zion NP - wow is all I can say!!

In a couple of days we're heading from Arches up to Salt Lake City - has anyone got an ideas of things to see or places to go en route?

Default I-15 IS the scenic route!

Quote Originally Posted by jw133 View Post
    I am currently on day 6 of the 41 days I have to cross the country, and have just made it to Las Vegas! I love this place - this will be my 9th visit!!!
    Glad to hear the trip is going well! While in Las Vegas, here are a few more things to consider.
    Anyway I'm due to leave Vegas on Friday and will be heading into Utah to visit the Beaver Dam Mountains, Snow Canyon, Zion, Bryce and Arches NPs. I've used MS Streets and Trips to do most of the planning for the trip and am in the most part pretty satisfied with the routes it's planned.

However for the Vegas to Beaver Dam Mountains section it has me heading up the I-15 which I'm not keen on - I'm trying to avoid Interstates if possible.
    Julia, I have driven all of the two lane roads between Las Vegas and Snow Canyon and I would urge you to consider following I-15. I-15 is the most scenic stretch of road between those two places (there are several small detours you can take -- great views, but they will all take time) -- the trip through the Virgin River Gorge (on I-15) is beautiful and not accessible by any two-lane paved road in the region.
    Does anyone know of any other route/s I can take instead of the I-15 which would be more scenic but wouldn't add hundreds of miles onto the journey?
    If you remain dead-set against the Interstate 15 highway, you can follow the Old Spanish Trail over the historic pass (Utah Hill Summit) by exiting I-15 at Mesquite and following old route 170/Hwy-91 which parallels I-15 along the Virgin River. On the map, it looks like you will be in sight of I-15 (but you won't -- in fact, I have used this old two lane highway to shoot photographs that look like you are hundreds of miles away from civilization.) When you get to Littlefield, you will cross under I-15 and begin the climb over the Beaver Dam Mountains on Old Highway 91. Eventually, this road will reach Shivwits and you can cut-over to the Snow Canyon area on Snow Canyon Parkway.
    Also would it be realistically possible to see the most/best parts of the Beaver Dam Mountains AND Snow Canyon in a day?
    The driving part of Snow Canyon can be done in about two hours -- so yes, you can see much of the area in one day.

Mark