1. Default road trip across usa

whats up!

I am planning a road trip, well...across america! haha I am going from north carolina to SoCal. I was wondering if you guys could give me any recommendations on the best route to take. I HAVE to leave right after christmas..........

Default Fastest? Most direct? Scenery?

Quote Originally Posted by jason.hovey View Post
    I am planning a road trip, well...across america! haha I am going from north carolina to SoCal. I was wondering if you guys could give me any recommendations on the best route to take.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! What are your goals and expectations for this trip? How long will the trip be? What do you want to see and do?

Mark

3. Default

something scenic, and i do want to hit the four corners and the grand canyons

i want to hit as much stuff as i can...with still as much a direct route as possible

as far as lenght i dont want it to be any more than two weeks, actually i would like to do it in a week and a half if at all possible
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-26-2006 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Same thought

Default Weather will be a factor

Quote Originally Posted by jason.hovey View Post
    something scenic, and i do want to hit the four corners and the grand canyons as far as lenght i dont want it to be any more than two weeks, actually i would like to do it in a week and a half if at all possible
    Weather is always hard to predict that time of year, but it is likely that you will hit snow once you hit Texas, if not before. If you were to do a speed run, you could cover that distance is 3-4 days, (if the weather is good) so a week or week and half is positively fine.

For all intents and purposes, your two main route decisions will be whether to use I-70 or I-40. Both are scenic, both can be used to access the Grand Canyon, (although I-40 is easier with respect to the canyon). There are hundreds of posts on this Forum that discuss the pros and cons of these two routes. Here is a short discussion about one section of I-70 -- Are you comfortable with crossing the Colorado Rockies in the winter?

Jamie Jensen has recently updated his book "RoadTrip USA" and it has plenty of tips and suggestions for such a ramble.

Happy Planning!

Mark