Default Denver to Dallas

I expect to drive from Denver, Colorado to Fort Worth, Texas in the next few weeks - by Mid October at the latest. I would like a few suggestions on interesting places to stop and streach my legs along the way. I would also like to know if anyone has an opinion on the best route to take. I made this drive several years ago taking the interstate south through Colorado Springs into New Mexico and then cutting across to Amarillo then 287 down to Fort Worth.

The difference is that this time I will be driving on company time. I'm not expected to drive it straight through, which means that I have time to stop and rest and see what there is to see. But I still need to keep in mind that the main objective is to get from point A to point B without getting too sidetracked in the process. I will also be driving a U-Haul or towing a trailer so I prefer not to travel through treacherous roads. I know there are some steep passes and things through parts of Colorado and I'm not sure what the weather and road conditions are like this time of year.

Thanks to anyone with recommendations!

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Options

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You've pretty much already found the best route between Denver and Fort Worth by taking I-25 down to Raton, NM and then using US-87 to Dumas, TX and US-287 to Fort Worth. There really aren't too many options since there are very few roads on the plains that go other than N-S or E-W. But there are a couple of places that I've enjoyed along that route that would make good places to literally stretch your legs.

If you're NOT driving a big U-Haul or trailer, there is no place better than Capulin Volcano National Monument. There is a road to the top of the (inactive) volcano and then a trail completely around the caldera (about a mile or so if memory serves). The view from the top is spectacular out across the plains if the day is clear, and it's worthwhile even if the weather is less than ideal. Depending on the size of the rig, you might even try it with the U-Haul. The other is Caprock Canyons State Park outside of Quitaque. It's just a short way off your main route and offers several choices of good hikes. Just be sure to take lots of water with you. Another stop you might want to look at, but which I can't vouch for personally, is Lake Arrowhead State Park just outside Wichita Falls. They seem to have a nice hiking trail beside the reservoir that should suit your purpose. Have a great trip.