Default Sequoia National Forest and National Mon.

My wife and I are heading in on Wednesday for our Anniversary. We want the National Forest or National Monument so we can bring along our Bear alarm (Lexi the dog).

We are leaving from San Diego and are looking for remote/non-campground locations to Camp. Ideally we would like to do a little trout fishing near camp as well and near a Sequoia grove would be great bonus.

Does anyone know of a great remote spot somewhere off a forest service road that they can recommend? We have a 4x4 so the road doesn't need pavement. We plan on camping for 3-4 nights.

Thank you all in advance,
    Andrew

Default Get the Local Intel

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forums.

The beauty of camping in National Forests is that, with some restrictions, you can camp almost anywhere you want. If you go to the Sequoia National Forest homepage and then follow the links to Recreational Activities and Campgrounds, you will find a couple of very enticing items. The first is that "camping season is generally from late-May through mid-October" so that things should be winding down and you are far less likely to be running into people. the other is that "almost all National Forest System land is available for you to choose your own camping spot." I have always found the personnel at the visitor centers and district offices to be great sources of the best and most timely information. They are justifiably proud of the land they take care of and want their visitors to see it at its best. By all means, stop and talk to them and give them the chance to do what both of you want, set you up to have the best camping experience possible.

AZBuck

Default Sherman Pass Road

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewnere View Post
    My wife and I are heading in on Wednesday for our Anniversary. We want the National Forest or National Monument so we can bring along our Bear alarm (Lexi the dog).
    I hope you are, at least, partially kidding about that -- even the most robust of dogs would be a poor match against an irritated black bear.
    We are leaving from San Diego and are looking for remote/non-campground locations to Camp. Ideally we would like to do a little trout fishing near camp as well and near a Sequoia grove would be great bonus.
    A couple of weeks ago I drove the Sherman Pass Road and although parts of the hills have been ravaged in recent years by wildfires, we did drive by some very nice trout streams/lakes and we also surprised a black bear cub who was strolling along the road with nary a care.

I wasn't paying enough attention where I was -- but I think I drove along the Rattlesnake Creek which is between the Sherman Pass Vista and Kennedy Meadows. What I would do is stop by the Kennedy Meadows Chuck Wagon BBQ and chat with Al (the chef) or any of the other regulars who hang out there. The Chuck Wagon Cafe is open 11 to 4:00 and closed on Monday and Wednesday (if Al is serving his sausages --order them -- very yummy). There is a trout stream about 1/4 mile west of the BBQ place as well.

If you continue on west on County Road 41 you can reach the Sequoia National Monument.

The easiest way to reach the Sherman Pass Road is to use I-15 to US-395 and then turn west on Nine Mile Canyon Road (it is narrow in a couple of spots, but paved and in relatively good condition) and then just follow the signs for Sherman Pass.

Other favorite spots -- just about anywhere in the White Mountains. A little farther afield -- but I know the fishing is great and the gravel access road is OK is Leavit Lake or even Latopie which is very near Sonora Pass.

Hope that helps a little.

Mark

Default Thank you

Thanks for the advice, I will post details of the trip next week when we get back. This is my first experience here, great site!

Andrew

Default Bundle up!

Make sure you're packed for cool overnight temps. I camped there this time of year, and while it was very plesant during the daytime, it got much colder than I was expecting or prepared for at night. Its one of the only times I've really been uncomfortable camping. Some good cold weather gear would have made my trip much nicer.

As has already said, there are tons of places you can camp, and even the semi-developed/primate campgrounds will likely be pretty quiet.

As you are heading up, there is a forest service information office on the North edge of Bakersfield. It would be a good place to check in for some more specific advice, and they can also issue you a (free) California Fire Permit, which you will need if you plan to have a campfire at any dispersed camping location.