1. Default California to Pennsylvania

I am a newbie here. Great site to find!!! We are driving our car cross-country from the L.A. area to Philadelphia in a Honda Civic. We have about 8-10 days to do this. One stop I have to make is in Oklahoma City, but other than that, the sky's the limit. Last minute motels are fine - nothing fancy as long as it's clean. We like all types of ethnic food. Off-the-beaten-path is for us, and great scenery is a must. Any suggestions would be appreciated...
    Thanks.

Default The World is (or Should Be) Your Oyster

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forums.

You could probably make that trip in as little as 5 days if all you concentrated on were the drive. So with nearly twice as long, you really can explore some back roads, take in some scenery and generally have a very relaxed and enjoyable trip. The first thing to do is to pick your basic route. You can either start by making a list of places and things you want to see and then connecting the dots, or pick a set of highways through scenic regions and look for what's available there. If you really want 'off-the-beaten-path' then you should plan on eschewing the Interstates and looking for alternatives.

Just to get you started thinking, one possible itinerary would look like this. Leave the L.A.basin on I-10, but then leave it for CA-62 through Joshua Tree National Park. Check out London Bridge in Lake Havasu, AZ on your way up to Kingman where you can take one of the largest remaining sections of the old Route 66 through Peach Springs and Seligman. Then, of course, head up to the Grand Canyon. There is also a ton of other stuff to see and do in the area. Use I-40 to get to Petrified Forest National Park, but then head cross country on US-180 and US-70 to White Sands National Monument, Roswell, and on to Oklahoma City.

After your stay in OKC, you can head east on US-270 to the Ozarks and enjoy the Talimena Scenic Drive and Hot Springs National Park. You can then either stick to the main road(s) through Memphis or back road it a bit more via US-79, US-49 and US-278, but either way you should end up on the Natchez Trace Parkway up into Tennessee. There are a couple of great two-lane roads eastward, US-64 and US-70, that will take you through small towns and lead you on to Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It would then be a relatively simple matter to follow the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive up through Shenandoah National Park before hooking up with US-30 for the final run into Philly.

The above suggestion is just one possibility among a huge number of alternatives, but should give you an idea of what's available to you.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks for all of the detailed information, AZBuck! Some great suggestions. We'll go through AZ to see the Grand Canyon, for sure. I just saw a glimpse of it a few years ago. Yes to Memphis and Graceland! It's someplace I've always wanted to go. This is such a huge undertaking. How do you condense so many incredible places in such a short amount of time?
    Thanks, again!!!

Default Time Management

Quote Originally Posted by lisasharyn

How do you condense so many incredible places in such a short amount of time?
    Well, you do have to realize that a trip like this is more of a smorgasbord than a gourmet meal. You won't have time to fully explore any place along the way, but can get a good sampling of what this country has to offer. The trick, at least for me, is to just treat each day as a series of places that I've always wanted to visit, each of which is just a couple of hours down the road. String enough of these together and before you know it, you've crossed the continent! Break up each day's driving into 3 or 4 "Sunday Drives" of a few hours. If there's nothing particular you want to see at a given stopping time, take a meal in a small town and talk to the locals. Just keep a general eye on the clock - or in your case, the calendar - so that you don't fall too far behind the pace you need to keep up and you'll be fine.

AZBuck

5. Default

Howdy! Coming from that way you could easily go through Ohio to get to PA, but I *highly* recommend these drives through Virginia. I am a resident in Southwest VA, so I am a little biased, but having traveled a lot through the mid-atlantic and up to Ohio, I have to say the rides in VA far far surpass those further north. (though West VA is equally as nice.) If your Civic handles real well, you will also really enjoy Skyline Drive, and Rte 211 through Shenandoah. Rte 211 in Northwestern VA is where lots of people from DC go to really test the handling of their cars, if that's your thing. If not, the views are probably some of the best in the region, and you'll also be close to some caverns like Luray or Endless Caverns :)

Have a wonderful trip!! I hope you love our neck of the woods!

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    ...will take you through small towns and lead you on to Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It would then be a relatively simple matter to follow the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive up through Shenandoah National Park before hooking up with US-30 for the final run into Philly.

The above suggestion is just one possibility among a huge number of alternatives, but should give you an idea of what's available to you.

AZBuck

6. Default

Been through most of VA and you're so right! Thanks...