Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default FL to NY - Need advice

I'll be heading up to NYC in late October and since I'm sick of air travel I thought I'd drive. I'm thinking that my first stop will be Savannah and my second stop will be Richmond. I'm sure many of you have done this trip before and just wondering if I get going from South Florida at around 6am when do you think I'll arrive in Savannah? Spend the night in SAV and then get going around 9 or 10am next morning to Richmond, estimated time arriving in Richmond? Appreciate any info!

Default Rules of Thumb

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The rule of thumb on the east coast is 53 mph is the best time you can obtain over the course of a day of travel, when you factor in the inevitable stops and traffic.

Since your first two days are both just under 500 miles, you should plan to be on the road for around 9 hours both days.

3. Default FL to NY - Need advice

Thank you! I seems like I would arrive in Savannah in the afternoon. Do you have any suggestions on a nice place to stay by the river? and Richmond too? I have never been to these cities and would like to look around for a few hours.

4. Default FL to NY - Need advice

I need to change my plans and arrive in New York a day earlier. Let me know if you think this is attempting to do too much.....

Leave South Florida at 6am and arrive in Savannah around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. ( easy first day ). Then, leave the next morning around 7am and drive all the way to NYC. arriving...??.

Is the second day unreasonable to attempt?

Default In a Word, Yes

Possible? Yes. Unreasonable? Yes.

The second day, Savannah to New York is over 800 miles and is going to take around 15 hours to complete once you factor in stops and traffic. You are going to be travelling one of the most heavily used roads in the US and it is going to be work, especially after your "easy" first day. (Miami to Savannah is nearly 500 miles and that does not count as easy in my book.) I think you'd be much better off to budget three days for this drive, or at the very least better balance the two driving days.

AZBuck

Default Been there, Done that...

I live in South Florida as well. I've done the drive a few times, and I've driven to North Carolina to visit my Marine son quite a few times, and by my experience, if you leave Miami at 6am, you should be in Savannah by no later than 3pm. I recommend you bypass the crazyness of I-95 rush hour/construction especially through WPB and take the Turnpike until it meets up with I95 around Port St. Lucie. This is the way I drive up and my sons drive down and we live on the beach, so it's a few miles to catch the turnpike at Commercial as opposed to I-95.

Regarding your second day of travel, considering that this is a 1300 mile ~20 hour road trip from South Florida, consider stoping in Florence SC (175 miles or ~2.5hrs from Savannah) or even Fayetteville, NC (250 miles or ~3.5hrs from Savannah) instead. Of course, if you have your heart set on going to Savannah, that's a different story.

Bear in mind that the slowest/worse part of the trip is going to come between Washington DC through NYC and if you really want to do this in 2 days, you best make as much progress the first day as possible, IMHO.

Hope this helps
    TV
    Last edited by AZBuck; 10-07-2006 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Changed @s to ~s

Default Wilkomen, Bienvenue,

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Trish, thanks for the input. It is unusual for first time posters to be offering rather than seeking advice, and we really appreciate it. Hope you continue to participate and add your local knowledge of the southeast, and especially the Florida coast, to the mix.

AZBuck

8. Default

Trish,
    Thanks for some excellent and usefull info. I really appreciate it.

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the warm welcome! Besides the I-95 Florida coast drive, I also am very familiar with the South Florida to Shreveport, LA drive, both through Mississippi and Baton Rouge, as we moved down here in 2001 and are native Shreveporters. The stretches of highway I am most familiar with are:

I-10 from Jacksonville, FL through Lafayette, LA
    I-20 from Jackson, MS to Dallas
    I-30 from Texarkana to Little Rock
    I-35 from Dallas to Austin
    I-40 from Little Rock to Memphis
    I-45 from Dallas to Houston
    I-49 from Shreveport to Lafayette (boring!)
    I-55 from Memphis to St. Louis
    I-75 from Miami to Lake City, FL to Atlanta
    I-95 from Miami to Newark/NYC

And of, course Florida's Turnpike from beginning to end.

I hope someday to do I-95 and US-1 from beginning to end. I've already done the drive from Miami to San Diego. That was fun!

I also am familiar with all outlet malls and Hobby Lobbys (die hard crafter) that are within 5 miles of these highways (as well as all cross-stitch stores), but maybe I won't share that part - it may make these trips take a whole lot longer! LOL!!!!

I'll be doing "the run" from SFL to Camp Lejeune again in two weeks - Marine Son #1 is having surgery on his knee. This will be the first road trip by myself since I was diagnosed as having narcolepsy.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Trish

Default The Art of the RoadTrip -- Rule #1

Quote Originally Posted by JustTrish View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome! Besides the I-95 Florida coast drive, I also am very familiar with the South Florida to Shreveport, LA drive, both through Mississippi and Baton Rouge, as we moved down here in 2001 and are native Shreveporters
    It is wonderful to have another native southerner active on this Forum. We look forward to reading about your favorite places for roadtrip discoveries!
    I-49 from Shreveport to Lafayette (boring!)
    Ding*Ding*Ding* I think you should read Lesson #1 from the Art of a RoadTrip!
    I hope someday to do I-95 and US-1 from beginning to end.
    US-1 would be a fun road to complete. I have driven sections of if, of course, but never the whole route (Ft. Kent. Maine to Key West, Florida) -- Almost 2400 miles down the east coast! You probably already know about this site -- but this is one of my favorite dreaming resources -- the complete list of every US-highway. My next planned cross-country excursion is to re-trace the entire Lincoln Highway.
    I'll be doing "the run" from SFL to Camp Lejeune again in two weeks - Marine Son #1 is having surgery on his knee. This will be the first road trip by myself since I was diagnosed as having narcolepsy.
    Hope the surgery goes well and that the trip is narcolepsy-episode free!

Mark