Default Appalachian Mountains

I'm looking for a scenic drive down south from NYC. I hear of the gorgeous byways that go thru the southern parts of the Appalacheans. This trip will be on a budget, camping involved and cycling. I'd love to go down to South Carolina but don't know if I have enough time for the drive. Will leave on a Thursday night and will need to be back the following Sunday evening...tight!!!

Any recommendations, routes, destinations, trails, etc anyone might have to make this short roadtrip from NYC down south the most beautiful, expansive and thrilling would be so helpful and appreciated.

Default Appalachia

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

While that is a tight schedule, you can fit in some nice drives with three days.
    If you're willing to compromise for distance, I would recommend the Shenandoah area of Virginia, with Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway at your disposal, you should find some nice driving.

The Appalachian Trail runs right through this area, as well as many other scenic trails.

If you really want some adventure, any of the side roads West out of Wytheville will be good enough to give you a thrill (and perhaps a scare or two). These are very windy roads - if you get on them, make sure your brakes are up to snuff and your arms don't tire easily.

Default drive to virginia

excited t o hear the possibilities. i'd hate to spend the majority of the trip inside the car driving although the scenery will be breathtaking I'm sure. I've seen gorgeous photos of the blue ridge. maybe what i'll look into is to seek grounds and trails there...
    ???

Default Biking

For cycling, many of the hills in the area can be very challenging. Are you looking for mountain biking or road cycling?