1. Default Moving from LA to Montreal in Jan

Hi,

My husband and I are moving in a U-haul, from LA to Montreal, Canada in January. I'm not sure what kind of conditions the tires will be in and I really want to avoid snow and ice as much as possible. I already travelled the I-10 before and so would like to go an other way but I also want to spend a few days in the new orleans area. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

dolphin888

Default Limitation

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I would probably leave New Orleans out this trip. First of all, if you want to avoid I-10, you'll have to add significant mileage to your trip to get there by another route. Second, U-Haul's days and mileage allowed generally don't give you much more than the time you'll need to load, drive, and unload the truck, and they tack on rather significant late fees if you don't meet those deadlines, so spending much more than a day anywhere along your journey could be tough.

As far as weather goes, there simply is no cross country route that will guarentee clear driving. While I-80 or I-70 have reasonable chances of seeing significant snowfall, Ice storms along I-40 or even I-10 aren't exactly rare either. Not to mention, there really is no way of avoiding the biggest snowfall threat, which will be in the Great Lakes region. Your best bet really will be to stay flexable, and keep watching the forecasts, and try to drive where the storms aren't.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin888 View Post
    Hi,

My husband and I are moving in a U-haul, from LA to Montreal, Canada in January. I'm not sure what kind of conditions the tires will be in and I really want to avoid snow and ice as much as possible. I already travelled the I-10 before and so would like to go an other way but I also want to spend a few days in the new orleans area. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

dolphin888
    January and February are probably the worst mouth of the year in Montreal.
    I will suggest to have snow tire or at least brand new all season tires.
    Good Luck.

Selvis
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-08-2006 at 11:04 AM. Reason: removed personal link -- this is not an advertising forum