1. Default san jose, ca to houston tx

any of your guys drove this route, i lloked at the maps and i think ill be going to i-10....any suggestions.

Thanks

Default I-10

Here is a similar post that contains some good information about that route. What are your interests (as well as dislikes - that can be important, too)?

Default It depends on what goals you have for the trip!

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrpnew View Post
    any of your guys drove this route, i lloked at the maps and i think ill be going to i-10....any suggestions.
    I have driven a similar route about a dozen times in the past decade or so. I-10 is fine -- what are you hoping to accomplish on the trip?

Mark

4. Default

quickest route and some nice views on the road, lots of gas stops and rest stops and hotels along the way..can this be done 3days 2 nights? where do you recomment to stop by at night?

Default 2,000 miles by the most direct route

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrpnew View Post
    quickest route and some nice views on the road, lots of gas stops and rest stops and hotels along the way..can this be done 3days 2 nights?
    By the shortest route, it is just shy of 2000 miles, which will require a minimum of 35 hours of travel (allowing time for fuel and food stops, traffic slow-downs and independent of motel stops). It is certainly doable in three days, but you need to plan on three twelve hour days -- which doesn't allow any time for sight-seeing along the way.

Depending upon what time you leave San Jose, about the farthest you should consider driving would be Phoenix (about a 710 mile effort). I would sleep in a bit on day two and then drive to Ft. Stockton, TX (about 670 miles) and then a more reasonable "jaunt" on in to Houston (about 500 miles). Certainly look at these updated Speed Run tips and read the section of eating well on the road!

Mark

I'd skip I-10 and weave your way over there instead. I-10 is a barn burner, I once rode that entire distance in 2 days flat- 22 hrs & 1200 miles the first day Sacto to El Paso, than the remaining 800 miles the 2nd day. Was 22 degrees when I was riding through New Mexico. :( Why not add at least an extra day, go up and over the Sierra Nevada Mtns and than weave your way southeast? Quick stop in Vegas even? ;)

Default What variation of triple digits was this?

Quote Originally Posted by pashnit View Post
    I once rode that entire distance in 2 days flat- 22 hrs & 1200 miles the first day Sacto to El Paso, than the remaining 800 miles the 2nd day. Was 22 degrees when I was riding through New Mexico.
    Which would make the wind-chill factor when riding a bike in excess of a 100 mph (ouch, my brain can't do the math) somewhere in the neighborhood of minus 27 degrees -- yeah, that makes sense.... [I bet Larrison will jump in with a arithmetical solution to this query....]

Mark

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Which would make the wind-chill factor when riding a bike in excess of a 100 mph (ouch, my brain can't do the math) somewhere in the neighborhood of minus 27 degrees -- yeah, that makes sense.... [I bet Larrison will jump in with a arithmetical solution to this query....]

Mark
    *laughing* you REALLY don't want to know that..

WindChill (deg F) = 35.74 + 0.6215*T -35.75*(V^0.16)+ 0.4275*5*(V^0.16)

where T is air temperature in Farenheit, V is wind speed (in miles per hour), * is multiply and ^ is "raised to power of.."

How this was derived, I have NO idea... Just use the table on http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/

If it was 22 F, and you were doing 100 mph, then your apparent temp with windchill was like -15 F.

Default I knew it!

Quote Originally Posted by Larrison View Post
    WindChill (deg F) = 35.74 + 0.6215*T -35.75*(V^0.16)+ 0.4275*5*(V^0.16)

where T is air temperature in Farenheit, V is wind speed (in miles per hour), * is multiply and ^ is "raised to power of.."

How this was derived, I have NO idea... Just use the table on http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/

If it was 22 F, and you were doing 100 mph, then your apparent temp with windchill was like -15 F.
    Thanks for this update -- I knew that within seconds of posting my last message, you would be able to obtain the correct info. I bet Tim (Pashnit) never tells exactly how fast he was moving....

Thanks,

Mark

Bit off topic, but yes, it was really cold and I was quite unprepared. I was in jeans, long johns & combat boots. It was the 1st week of January and I 'thought' if I headed south I'd avoid the cold weather since I knew enough not to go over any mountain ranges. Little did I know that a cold front was pushing south (never checked the weather), it was nighttime in the New Mexico desert, and the elevation pushed to around 4000 ft. At 60 mph, temp (according to your chart) would be about -4 degrees, and I was rather hypothermic by the time I reached El Paso. Fun journey though, wrote a book about it- called '6000 Miles in 8 Days'.