Default Seattle to PHX - Best and/or quickest route

Hi! First-time poster.

My husband and I are doing the Pacific Coast Hwy in Oct - first time. Thanks for all the ideas in the forum - we're looking forward to the trip!

We have 11 days and start in Prescott AZ (90 mi NW of PHX). The bulk of the trip is on the PCH. We have our route going up, but once we finish in Seattle, we'll want to sail home to Prescott.

I can't make out a clear route on the atlas. We don't do all-nighters like we did in our 20's! So we'll need to stop when it gets dark. I wouldn't mind going through Utah, although we won't be stopping for anything but rest area breaks and motel at night - I'm guessing 2 nights on the road? Some nice scenery would be welcome on the way home.

Any ideas?

Default Your Three Basic Choices

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forums.

The shortest route is rather bland and would be similar to your drive up. It's just I-5 down to the Los Angeles area and then I-10 back to Phoenix. The total mileage this way is right around 1510 miles. This route has one feature that I would consider a major disadvantage, namely it requires you to drive through Los Angeles.

An alternative would be to head inland from Seattle on I-90, and then use I-82 and I-84 to Salt Lake City. You'd use I-15 south out of SLC and could then choose to either continue on to Las Vegas and finish up on US-93 back into Phoenix, or you could leave I-15 at exit 95 to cut over on UT-20 to US-89 south to Flagstaff and I-17 into Phoenix. Either of these later alternatives would result in a trip that is 150 miles longer than the shortest route.

Each of the three routes I've outlined is going to take 3 solid days of the type of driving you describe. So you should probably start by tracing each of them out on a map and see which appeals to you. If you're really looking for some new and exciting scenery, I'd think you'd want one of the second set of routes.

AZBuck

Default Idaho route is the fastest!

Quote Originally Posted by golden View Post
    My husband and I are doing the Pacific Coast Hwy in Oct - first time. Thanks for all the ideas in the forum - we're looking forward to the trip!
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Your time of year is ideal for clear days along the PCH!
    but once we finish in Seattle, we'll want to sail home to Prescott.
    The fastest route is I-90> I-84 > I-15 > I-515/US-93 > I-40 > AZ-89 and home. By this route it would be about 1500 miles, which will require 26 hours of travel (allowing for time-outs for fuel, stretching, snacks, etc.) If you divide it into three days of travel (with the 3rd night being at home) you can expect to be on the road for about nine hours each day.

Now, technically that is the fastest route, but the way I usually go is I-94 to Twin Falls and then due south on US-93 all the way to the AZ-87 junction and then north on AZ-89, because I like the views more. Depending upon your driving speed and skill on US-93, you can actually beat the best time on the Interstate route, if you get my drift.

Another option, if you do the I-15 section in Utah, is to head on UT-389 over to US-89Alt and take that to Flagstaff and then home.

Happing Planning!

Mark

Default Thank you both...

...this is exactly what I was looking for. Interstate is best for us when time counts. So it looks like 90>84>15>Vegas. As soon as I get on I40 I'll know my way home (btw if you couldn't tell I'm the navigator in the family :) I also like the idea of going through Mesquite NV. My brother has a winter home there but we've never been there.

Thanks again!!