1. Default Driving from Phoenix to DC

I'll be moving from Phoenix to DC within the next few days and I'm looking for some trip ideas. Time is not especially of essence, though I'd like to complete the trip with only two overnight stays, three at the very most.

Is the only real timely option just to get on I-40 and head east? From the looks of it, anything else would lengthen the trip pretty considerably. Assuming I do the trip in three days of driving/two overnights, where would be the best stopping points?

Thanks.

Default Lots of options, very little time

Welcome Back to the RTA Forum!

My first bit of advice, if time is not of the essance, then please consider adding at least another night, if not 2 nights.

You are looking at a 2400 mile trip. Doing this trip in 3 days would require back to back to back 800 mile days, meaning at least 14 hours per day on the road every day for those 3 days. Even streched out over 4 days, you're still looking at 600 miles a day, while much more feasable, its still 4 very long days in the car.

Throw in the fact that when you are moving, where you almost never get on the road as soon as you plan, and if you are driving a moving van, you will not be able to safely drive as fast as you would in a regular car, doing this in 3 days just isn't a very good idea.

As far as route go, you do have more options than just I-40. While I-40 does appear to be the shortest, you could also take I-10 to I-20 to I-30, via dallas, connecting to I-40 in Little Rock, this route is only 50 miles longer than using I-40 the whole way. You could also take I-20 all the way to Birmingham, and then cut up to I-81 via Chattanooga (about 100 extra miles than I-40). Both routes do add a few miles, but in extra time would be very small relative to the total time of your trip, so if you are looking for some variety to your trip, they could both work very well.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome Back to the RTA Forum!

My first bit of advice, if time is not of the essance, then please consider adding at least another night, if not 2 nights.

You are looking at a 2400 mile trip. Doing this trip in 3 days would require back to back to back 800 mile days, meaning at least 14 hours per day on the road every day for those 3 days. Even streched out over 4 days, you're still looking at 600 miles a day, while much more feasable, its still 4 very long days in the car.

Throw in the fact that when you are moving, where you almost never get on the road as soon as you plan, and if you are driving a moving van, you will not be able to safely drive as fast as you would in a regular car, doing this in 3 days just isn't a very good idea.

As far as route go, you do have more options than just I-40. While I-40 does appear to be the shortest, you could also take I-10 to I-20 to I-30, via dallas, connecting to I-40 in Little Rock, this route is only 50 miles longer than using I-40 the whole way. You could also take I-20 all the way to Birmingham, and then cut up to I-81 via Chattanooga (about 100 extra miles than I-40). Both routes do add a few miles, but in extra time would be very small relative to the total time of your trip, so if you are looking for some variety to your trip, they could both work very well.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think you may have convinced me to extend the trip a bit. I'll be passing through quite a bit of country I haven't seen before, and *would* like to be able to see msot of it during the day.

Any idea, of the above routes, which would be the most interesting? Taking I-20 to Birmingham seems like it could be fun, since I'd at least be getting to see a bunch of states in a region (the south) I really haven't spent much time in.

4. Default

Ok, so I'd like some advice on which of these two routes to take. They're virtually identical distance-wise. The first would be to take I-40 straight across through, passing through places like Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Memphis, and Nashville, then up on I-81 through Virginia. The second would be to cut northwest from Oklahoma City on I-44, passing through St. Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus, then down to DC via Morgantown, WV.

Are either of these routes more scenic or interesting than the other? I'm leaning toward the first one, just because it seems like going the length of Tennesse could be a little more lively than driving through southern Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio, but I really don't know.