1. Default Las Vegas to Monument Valley

Hello - very pleased to have googled this site!

My wife and I are planning a return trip to Las Vegas next summer (07) after enjoying out honeymoon there last year.
    Last time out we did plenty of driving around Vegas and to the Grand Canyon.

Next time we are thinking of a trip to Moument Valley, possibly taking in the Meteor crater near Flagstaff either going out or on the return.

Can anybody offer any advice, routes (maps of the main highways) or general thoughts on the best way to do this.

I would be looking to spend 1 night in the MV area.
    As a sales rep in the UK I am used to long drives so would not expect 5-7 hours driving at one go to be a problem.

Tucson, AZ

Default Las Vegas & Monument Valley: A Two Day Loop

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There is, of course, a ton of stuff to do around the Grand Canyon. But with only a couple of days, you'll have to be selective and keep to the ones near your route.

As far as maps go, I'd strongly suggest getting a good paper map of Arizona at your local book or map store. Or better yet, get a copy of the official state guide and map. In the meantime, you can take a look at the roads available at some of the on-line mapping sites such as MSN MapPoint, MapQuest, and others.

For a good two day loop out of Las Vegas, Let me suggest the following, assuming you've already seen the Grand Canyon and will not be going back on this trip. Head out of Las Vegas on I-15 up to St. George, UT and then take US-89 southeast through the southern end of Zion National Park and along the Vermillion Cliffs of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument into Page, AZ. From there, AZ-98, US-160 and US-163 will take you up into the Monument Valley area. Probably you best shot for good overnight accommodations is in Kayenta, AZ. Monument Valley itself is a Navajo Tribal Park and there are several local outfitters who offer tours of varying length depending on what you have in mind, but probably the best thing you have going for you is that you should be there at around sunset or sunrise, or both!

For the return trip, if you're ambitious, you could head south on US-191 to I-40 west and make a first stop at Petrified Forest National Park, and then continue west along I-40, taking in Meteor Crater and Walnut Canyon National Monument before making the final run back into Las Vegas over the Hoover Dam.

As I said, there is probably more to do along this route than you can really fit into two days, but you won't be bored!

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Canyon de Chelly

Yet again, AZBuck delivers tips that I can only agree with. I think he's covered most of the things to do up in that area, except for Canyon de Chelly National Monument just outside of Chinle, AZ in the Navajo Nation. I thought I'd mention it because it is in the area, and I've heard good things about it from everyone I know whose visited.

4. Default

Thank you Azbuck for your suggestions. This certainly seems to be the sort of loop I had in mind.

I'm sorry not to be doing your country more justice and spending more time on this trip but wife insists on Vegas rather than a real roadtrip.

The map sites should be a great help in me visualizing the route prior to us getting to the states. We'll have to see how time goes for some of the additional points of interest you mentioned. We will probably not get to the states or at least this part again for a long time, if ever, so despite the slog I'm adamant to see Monument Valley while I am in the neighbourhood (or on the right continent!).

Would you have any idea of what the mileage would be for the route you suggested?

Again, many thanks.

Tucson, AZ

Default Miles to Go Before You Sleep

The outbound leg from Las Vegas to Kayenta is about 375 miles with Monument Valley being another 50 miles or so beyond Kayenta, depending, of course, on where exactly you go in the Valley - it's rather large. Returning from Kayenta to LasVegas, if you use Navajo Route 59 as a short cut from Kayenta to Many Farms, is 535 miles. So neither is an especially easy day, but both are within the realm of reason. As I said, you won't be able to see everything along the way, but whatever you do stop to see will be worth the effort.