1. Default Camping across country

My boyfriend and I are traveling cross country during the second week of September. We plan on camping during our stops to save money. We are looking for affordable safe campgrounds located relatively close to I-80 in or around: Davenport, IA; Lincoln, NE; Salt Lake City, UT; and somewhere around Winnemucca or Reno, NV. Any campgrounds suggestions around these areas would be great.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Fall Camping

Well, the great thing about camping in September is that you should really be able to get by without reservations.

I would say that is a very good thing, because if you are trying to make these places your stops on a cross country trip, you might be biting off way more than you can chew. For example, Lincoln to Salt Lake City is 875 miles, which will take you around 15 hours best case.

Also remember that by September, you'll likely be seeing the sun set around 7 pm, so unless you like setting up camp in the dark, you'll want to get off the road earlier than you would have to in the summer.

As far as finding specific campground, my first choice is usually to simply open up my atlas and look for state parks nearby. Using that method several years ago, I found Mahoney State Park between Omaha and Lincoln. I found it to be one of the nicer places I've stayed. It would get my recommendation, but there are also at least 3 other State Recreation Areas just to the West of Lincoln that also allow camping.

Near Davenport, Iowa, I have camped at Wildcat Den State Park. However, I can say that was one campground where I simply will never return. There is at least one county park on the Illinois side of the area that does allow camping that I've heard good things about, but I don't know the name of it off hand.

3. Default

Well, we are stopping in Boulder, CO to stay with friends between Lincoln and Salt Lake so we are only planning on driving between 6 and 8 hours a day. 15 would be waaaay too much!

4. Default Utah

My boyfriend and I need to camp for a night in/around Salt Lake City on our road trip across country (we will be tent camping). I was looking up Antelope Island State park as a potential place and was wondering if any one is familiar with it or would recommend/not recommend it. Otherwise, suggestions for other state parks or privately owned campgrounds in the area (other than KOA) then that would be great. Thanks!