1. Default Montreal,QC - Jacksonville, FL - Austin, TX

So I'm going to be driving/moving to Austin, TX in a few weeks. I'm planning on taking the 'scenic' route down, with a stopover in Florida to visit a longtime friend.

Are there any suggestions on places to stay (places to avoid?), how much time I can really expect to be able to drive each day, speed limits and enforcement (in NY where I grew up...its 65 and VERY strictly enforced, but I've heard that down in the south you can 80-85 without too much trouble from highway this true?)

Any general tips/suggestion/advice would be appreciated.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default General Rules

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

How much distance you'll be able to cover per day will be a factor of how many hours you can tolerate in a car per day, how much you want to stop along the way, and your choice of routes (2 lane vs freeway/Urban vs Rural).

As a general rule, if you are sticking to the Interstates, 500 miles is a pretty full day on the road. You can easily cover more ground than that for a day or two, but it gets tough to push beyond that over more than a couple days. For time calculation purposes, 53 mph will most likely be about as fast as you can cover a long distance, once you also factor in stops for basic nesscessities, including food and fuel.

In terms of speed limits, I haven't driven in the south much, but I don't think any southern states have a speed limit that's over 65 or 70 mph. I would be quite surprised if going over 80 wouldn't get you a ticket. Personally, I find as long as I'm under 10 over, I usually stay out of trouble, if I inch up over the 10 mark, I start seeing flashing lights.