1. Default Public transport airport to Las Vegas hotels

Hi,
    We are landing at McCarran on Wed night, have no idea how to get to the hotel New York New York from the airport, dont want to get ripped off immediately with an overpriced taxi, is there a cheap method of public transport to and from the airport, or are the taxi's ok.
    Many thanks Keith and Julie

Default Shuttle?

Have you tried contacting your hotel about a shuttle? It is quite possible they will either have one or have their own recommendations for transportation.

LV does have a bus system that does stop at the airport, and I've actually used it! We were staying downtown, but we hoped on a bus and about 40 minutes later we were dropped off right on Freemont Street. That said, I don't think there were any other tourists on the bus, so if you are not a serious budget travelers, it might not be something you'd enjoy.

Other than taxis one other options would be to try and round up a few other travelers who are heading to your hotel or other ones nearby and rent a limo. Its not a guarentee, but it could end up being slightly cheaper than a cab if you get enough people together.

3. Default

Good idea, will contact the hotel or like you say, try and round a few others up.

many thanks

Default If Only...

...the passanger terminal were on the other side of the runway(s), then it would be a 1 block walk from McCarran to New York, New York. As it is it's about a mile. Depending on how much luggage you have, you might consider your own two feet. New York, New York recommends a couple of commercial shuttles that charge $5-$7 per person for the trip.

AZBuck

5. Default

Cheers AZ, think if worse comes to it, we can manage a mile, but all the info I have from you guys, think I will be OK, it says its 90 degrees in vegas, I cant wait.

keith

Default A fine Attitude to start your adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by keith750cc
    We are landing at McCarran on Wed night, have no idea how to get to the hotel New York New York from the airport, dont want to get ripped off immediately with an overpriced taxi,
    There is a surcharge that all taxi companies have to pay to pick-up tourists at the airport -- virtually all of them pass it on to paying public, but I have always found the taxi rates to be fair and the service excellent. Actually, when I arrive at McCarran -- I always arrange to have a limo service meet me. The cost is nearly the same as a taxi and the driver is always waiting for me in the baggage claim. The drivers keep track of airport delays and are often better informed about actual arrival times than anyone else in the airport. Plus, it is door-to-door service.
    ...the passenger terminal were on the other side of the runway(s), then it would be a 1 block walk from McCarran to New York, New York. As it is it's about a mile. Depending on how much luggage you have, you might consider your own two feet.
    I don't think AZBuck has flown in here recently. AZBuck's advice is normally 100% dead-on, but it may be only a mile (as a bird can fly) but to walk it or drive it, I can't see any shorter route than ~ 3 miles. I live here and I wouldn't try to walk to NY-NY from the airport unless there was no other alternative. It would be a brutal walk.

Now, there is public bus transportation from the airport and more information about the CAT system is available here. Much less expense -- much longer time (for me, time really is money...) The routes you would want are 109 to the SSIT (southern transporation hub station) and then pick up the Deuce (which runs up the strip). Incidently the duece is cool! Double-decker buses with the BEST view of the strip!

Enjoy your time here!

Mark

7. Default

Many thanks Mark,
    I am getting ready for the airport now, so your advice is much appreciated double decker sounds good to me.

thanks Keith

8. Default Back from a great USA trip

As to the above, I was so tired we just got a taxi, it was about $14 to New York New York, as it was 100 degrees on arrival t was a good deal and on my return we paid $5 each from the Luxor with the hotel mini bus. We are aleady planning our next trip to Nevada and California.

atb keith

Default Did you ride the Deuce while in town?

Quote Originally Posted by keith750cc View Post
    As to the above, I was so tired we just got a taxi, it was about $14 to New York New York, as it was 100 degrees on arrival t was a good deal and on my return we paid $5 each from the Luxor with the hotel mini bus. We are aleady planning our next trip to Nevada and California.
    Thanks for the update. Did you take the time to ride the Deuce while you were in town?

Mark

10. Default

No Mark, unfortunately we didnt, but we sure did a lot of walking and it may be one of the things that I do when I go back next year, I have typed a detailed account of my journey under the Field Reports.

atb Keith
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-05-2006 at 06:39 PM. Reason: adding link to another part of forum