Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default June California Loop - 3 weeks

Hi,

Our roadtrip will be for 3 weeks in June beginning & finishing in LAX.

We are spending 2-3 days in LA, Yosemite, San Fran, Monterey & San Diego.

We have about 6 days between when we are in Yosemite & San Fran. My question is whether we should spend the 6 days in Lake Tahoe/Napa, or should we drive up to the Redwood national park in northern Cali & drive the coast from there down to San Fran.
    I have no real idea of the terrain involved & realistic driving times for Yosemite to Redwood NP

Also, on a side question would it be feasible to drive from LA via Death Valley to Yosemite in June, going through DV early morning or am I better going via mammoth lakes.

Thanks & Regards
    Trekker

Default If you like nature.....

Off the top of my head six days should be enough time to loop up through Lassen National Park,

Lake near Bumpass Hell Trailhead, Lassen National Park

Photo: Don Casey

Crater Lake National Park,

the Redwood Parks,

Avenue of the Giants

and down the coast through Mendocino.

View from Elk Cove Inn, Elk (Mendocino Coast south of Mendocino)

Overnights near Redding (1 night), Medford/Ashland (2 nights/ Lassen on day 1, Crater Lake Day 2), Crescent City or Klamath (1 or two nights), Mendocino Coast (1 night).

3. Default

I've never been through Redwood National Park, but Lake Tahoe is unbelievable that time of year. There most likely won't be too many tourists in June. Just know that it may still be pretty cold at this time. If you want to see redwoods, I would suggest Big Sur, just south of Monterey.

Default Both.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It sounds as though your other dates may be fixed, but if you are heading inland from LA to Yosemite and want to get to Death Valley, you would need at least 1 overnight stop on the way. If that's not a problem you could head out through Barstow on I15 and then take CA127 through Shoshone and on to 190 to Furnace Creek and back to US395 to head north to near Lee Vining and Tioga Pass[CA120] into Yosemite. You would need to check the status of Tioga Pass to ensure it's open, there is a good chance it will be but it's not guaranteed. I'm not sure I understand your other question, if you head to Death Valley you will be going through Mammoth Lakes anyway.

If you decide to stay to the west of the mountains and head direct to Yosemite, you could [if open] still drive across the spectacular Tioga pass and then head to Tahoe, you would still have plenty of time to visit the coastal Redwoods NP, via Lassen perhaps. The coastal Redwoods can also be found nearer to SF at Muir woods and where you could also drive through Napa Valley and have the option of visiting Point Reyes and the Golden Gate Recreation area. For 'BIG' trees you can also visit the giant Sequoia's in Mariposa Grove as part of your Yosemite visit, and you could consider stopping over at Sequoia NP if you have a night to spare, depending on the route you decide from LA of course.

5. Default

Guys, Thanks very much for your feedback.

Just to clarify on our trip:
    Days 1-3 LA
    Day 4 Travel to Yosemite
    Days 5-6 Yosemite
    Days 7-12 UNDECIDED
    Days 13-14 San Fran
    Days 15-21 Monterey, Coast, San Diego

Dave - the question on Death valley was just about the heat there in June whether to avoid & go to yosemite via mammoth lakes without goin through death valley.

If you are trying to drive from LA to Yosemite in 1 day, you don't even have time to go via Mammoth Lakes anyway. If you take 2 days, then you can go through DV, just minimize your time out of the car if it's hot, and look at spending a night in Bishop.

7. Default

Thanks GLC, the time in LA is flexible so we can spend an extra day travelling from LA to Yoesmite.

Death Valley will be hot but is an amazing landscape that can be enjoyed from the comfort of the car with a few short stops to the viewpoints. As I mentioned, if you can fit an extra day in and the Tioga Pass is open it is doable. If the Tioga is closed then even Mammoth Lakes is not an option, but by June I would think there would be a good chance it will be. An early opening is on the cards at the moment, but a few late snow storms could alter that.

9. Default

Guys we have decided on splitting the 5-6 days between extra time around Yosemite, Lake Tahoe & Napa, mainly to allow time to see places better & not to rush too much. Would have loved see more of North Cali & Oregon but not to be this time

One final question we plan to drive close to Death Valley and get up early the next morning at about 5.30-6 am to drive through the park & go all the way to Yosemite (Tioga pass permitting). Could you recommend a town within a couple of hours of Death Valley to stay the night before entering the park? Vegas or Pahrump look like possible options coming from LA

Default Neither of them, (Las Vegas or Pahrump) make sense on this speed run!

Quote Originally Posted by trekker2012 View Post
    One final question we plan to drive close to Death Valley and get up early the next morning at about 5.30-6 am to drive through the park & go all the way to Yosemite (Tioga pass permitting). Could you recommend a town within a couple of hours of Death Valley to stay the night before entering the park? Vegas or Pahrump look like possible options coming from LA
    If you're coming from Los Angeles and want to go through Death Valley NP on your way to Yosemite, than both Pahrump and Las Vegas are way out of your way!

The least backtracking would be: You need to go I-15 to Baker and then north on CA-127 to CA-178 into the Park and then exit Death Valley on CA-190 to US-395 and then on to Yosemite. But I would not recommend Baker as a general rule. If you're really committed to this plan -- Barstow is a far better choice.

Realistically, you probably should stay in either Victorville or Ridgcrest and then approach Death Valley from CA-178 -- go as far as you have time for (to the east) and then turn around and zip over to US-395 and north to Tioga Pass and Yosemite.

Mark