1. Default AZ to Oregon coast and with dog??

Hi,

We are about to go on a 3 week round trip road trip, AZ to Oregon coast. Are we crazy to take the two year old golden retriever?

There is so much to see between AZ and OR, what would you recommend seeing before we even get to the OR coast? Traveling with 13 year old, 9 year old boys and dog!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Default Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by luvtotravel
    We are about to go on a 3 week round trip road trip, AZ to Oregon coast. Are we crazy to take the two year old goldenretriever?
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum. Traveling with a dog is always an adventure and it can be great fun. Here are some of our thoughts on that subject and also some tips for getting him/her ready for this adventure.
    There is so much to see between AZ and OR, what would you recommend seeing before we even get to the OR coast?
    Where in Arizona are you starting from?

Happy Planning!

Mark

3. Default AZ to Oregon coast and with dog

Thanks for your response Editor. I'm glad to hear we are "absolutely" crazy :)but that traveling with a dog is rewarding, enjoyed the articles.

We're leaving from Phoenix, up through CA to OR. We've seen the Grand Canyon, so basically just trying to decide what to see in CA on the way up and back???

Default Some options

Quote Originally Posted by luvtotravel
    We're leaving from Phoenix, up through CA to OR. We've seen the Grand Canyon, so basically just trying to decide what to see in CA on the way up and back???
    Hmmm, an August road trip with a two-year old golden retriever... There are so many cool desert choices, but I wouldn't recommend them for an August trip -- except that living in Phoenix I am sure the puppy is used to heat and desert stickers. San Diego is pretty cool, but I bet you want to make tracks for the coast. So, here are a couple of ideas:

Everyone is going to love the burros who act as traffic police in Oatman and it is a nice trip up Sitgreaves Pass (Route 66) from Arizona.

When you again reach I-40 head west CA-58 to US-395 and take a road you will not believe... It is all paved and the only highway that crosses the southern Nevada mountain range -- along the way you will pass through Kennedy Meadows and passes through part of the Sequoia National Monument. It is not traveled by many, but it is an awesome road -- I am going to drive it in early August myself. You take the Nine Mile Canyon road to the west shortly after passing the town of Pearsonville on US-395. The Nine Mile road eventually changes its name to the Kennedy Meadows Road and again to the Sherman Pass Road before emerging at Johnsondale. From Johnsondale you can take the Western Divide Highway up to CA-190 and then follow the Middle Fork of the Tule River all the way out to the San Joaquin valley at Porterville. Believe me, this is a road none of you will ever forget! [Caution, if you are not a fan of mountain roads.... this might not be the best choice, but if you are -- lots of place for everyone to get out and run the excess energy a bit!]

If you still have time in the schedule -- you can zip over to the coast and drive the incomparable Big Sur on CA-1.

Hope this helps a little.

Mark

Default Love dogs in the Northwest

You'll find a warm welcome for you and your dog all over Oregon & Washington.
    The coast is usually pleasantly cool right now (careful, the ocean's not for swimming up here - too cold and rough). Many dog friendly places to stay here. Long Beach, WA is a great dog friendly beach.