1. Default North Carolina to California and back...suggestions?

Recent college grad and friend heading cross-country before entering the real world. We'll be staying at hotels/motels some nights, friends' homes some others.

Here is our planned itenerary, we are loose on the time schedule. If anyone has any scenic routes around these areas or other suggestions for sidetrips, etc. it would be greatly appreciated!

Greensboro, NC to Baton Rouge, LA

to San Antonio, TX

to Tuscon, AZ (possibly a sidetrip to Nogales, Mexico. Anyone have thoughts on this?)

Quick stop for golf in Phoenix, AZ

To Orange County, California

To somewhere in Northern California up the Pacific Coast Highway

To Lake Tahoe, NV

To Las Vegas, NV

To Denver, CO

To Norman, OK

To Nashville, TN

Back home.

I'm looking forward to hearing any and all suggestions! Thanks, Tripp

Default A few Thoughts....

Welcome to the RTA Forum, it looks like you have a grand adventure in front of you.

to Tuscon, AZ (possibly a sidetrip to Nogales, Mexico. Anyone have thoughts on this?)
    I went down to Nogie a couple of times when I lived in Tucson. Its about an hour drive to downtown Nogalas, AZ. Take I-19 all the way to the end of the freeway and find a place to park on the street and walk across the border. Its very much a Mexican border town, and is kind of like a small version of Tjunana, but its certainly something worth checking out if you have the time. Just make sure you bring a passport or your birth certificate AND your drivers license so you can get back home - I do know people who've had to sit in a cell for a couple hours while they got someone to provide the proper documentation.

To Lake Tahoe, NV
    To Las Vegas, NV
    I think it would make a lot more sense to hit Vegas between Phoenix and SoCal than it would to go all the way back south between Tahoe and Denver. If you hit Vegas while heading west, you could also do the easy detour and visit the grand canyon.

And before you go, be sure to take RTA's RoadTrip Compatability Quiz to help you and your friends get on the same wavelength before your trip even begins.

3. Default

Michael,

Thanks for the suggestions, we'll definitely plan a trip down to Nogales now...my friend has never been out of the country so I'm sure he'll want to go.

As for the Vegas switchup, I was hoping to be able to travel to Vegas from Tahoe and go through the death valley area. Based on my calculations, its only about 100 more miles to go to Denver from Tahoe via Las Vegas than driving straight there. If I added in the Grand Canyon detour from Vegas to Denver, I'm sure it'd be longer.

Also, I'll be driving a Sports Sedan during this whole deal. Very accustomed to Mountain driving, but want to avoid non-paved roads. I definitely prefer routes off major interstates as long as it doesn't add TOO much time.

If anyone else has any suggestions to offer, keep 'em coming...

Default Calculations need another look!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripper521
    As for the Vegas switchup, I was hoping to be able to travel to Vegas from Tahoe and go through the death valley area. Based on my calculations, its only about 100 more miles to go to Denver from Tahoe via Las Vegas than driving straight there.
    Only if you are driving a time machine or some other device that can trascend normal perception of space and time. Just to be clear, are you suggesting that a route from Lake Tahoe to Denver is only 100 miles shorter than a route from Lake Tahoe to Denver via Death Valley and Las Vegas? There are hundreds of miles of difference between these routes.

Like Midwest Michael has suggested, if you want to include Grand Canyon and Las Vegas & Death Valley to your trip, you really need to do it when you are in the southern part of Arizona and California and not coming from Lake Tahoe.

This is what I would do:

After golfing in Phoenix, go the Grand Canyon's south rim. Continue on to west on I-40 (& part of Route 66) over to US-93 over the Hoover Dam and into Las Vegas. From Las Vegas drive through Death Valley and go south on US-395 and follow I-15 to Orange County. At that point you will be back on your schedule. However at Lake Tahoe you go to Denver and points east!

Mark

5. Default

After looking at the Grand Canyon, I can see exactly what you are saying, We'll reroute and go that way. Mark, thanks for the directions on getting to Orange Country from there.

Now I need a place to stay somewhere between Tahoe and Denver. Does anyone have any suggestions of cool places/routes that are on or off the beaten path? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Default The lonliest highway in America?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripper521
    Now I need a place to stay somewhere between Tahoe and Denver. Does anyone have any suggestions of cool places/routes that are on or off the beaten path? Thanks in advance for all of your help.
    If you take US-50 (instead of I-80) there are all sorts of cool places to stop on the way. First choice would be the Nevada Hotel in Ely, Nevada. Ask for the Mickey Rooney room -- see if you hear or see the ghost that hangs out there. The steaks are first-rate across the street at the Jail House Inn. If you need to make more tracks that day,

I would suggest staying at Green River and taking the time to explore Goblin Valley on your way in.

And if you really need to make tracks -- the hot springs resort at Idaho Springs is about as off-the-chart as you can imagine. The grottos are something you have to see to believe.

Mark