1. Default Florida to Utah...and then some....

I plan on leaving Florida at the beginning of July to get to Zion National Park by the last week of July. All I know so far is that I want to stop at the Great Smoky Mountain NP on the way. I want to be back in Florida sometime in September.

My daughter and I travelled up to half of every year for 14 years. We had an organic vegetable farm in Vermont, so travelled the half of the year it was frozen ;-) We did do one trip to Montana, Washington, Arizona and back to Vermont one summer.

I am definitely a veteran cross country tripper. We usually travel for no specific time frame and have no deadlines. I make turns on a whim and follow scenic routes on maps. We have been to most US national parks. All my favorite adventures were "accidental".

This trip will include 2 adults (one blind) and a service dog (for the not blind adult). If I don't find lodging for the cat, she might come, too. She has been on a couple of trips, but is not as thrilled as the dog ;-)

I have a GMC conversion van with almost 250,000 miles on it. There's a queen bed in the back, dresser, underbed storage, a food cupboard, porta potty, 2 house batteries, a generator, oxygen concentrator and CPAP machine. We will have our laptop with WiFi capabilities.

I camp 99% of the time. In all these years, I've only stayed at one cabin and one hotel room. I prefer federal campgrounds like Corps of Engineers, Forest Service, National Parks, BLM, etc, as they are half price for disabled people.

Are there any good websites telling what federal campgrounds have electricity? Some national parks have ONE site with electric for wimpy people like me who need oxygen. I have found no source listing these elusive electric sites. At the north rim of the Grand Canyon, I asked politely and was shown a place to plug in ;-)

Any hints, tips, stories, ideas welcome. Wendy

Default Nice to have a road veteran like you here

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingWendy
    I plan on leaving Florida at the beginning of July to get to Zion National Park by the last week of [July.
    An ideal begining! Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! A three month wander sounds like heaven to most of us!
    I am definitely a veteran cross country tripper. We usually travel for no specific time frame and have no deadlines. I make turns on a whim and follow scenic routes on maps. We have been to most US national parks. All my favorite adventures were "accidental".
    Again, you will find a like-minded community of roadtrippers here.
    This trip will include 2 adults (one blind) and a service dog (for the not blind adult). If I don't find lodging for the cat, she might come, too. She has been on a couple of trips, but is not as thrilled as the dog ;-)
    Yeah, that sounds like a cat....
    I camp 99% of the time. In all these years, I've only stayed at one cabin and one hotel room. I prefer federal campgrounds like Corps of Engineers, Forest Service, National Parks, BLM, etc, as they are half price for disabled people.
    Well you will have certain ally in Moderator Judy -- her tendency is to look slightly askance at those of us who think of a road trip as involving plush sheets and comfortable spas... I, too, really like the Corps of Engineers campgrounds -- they have some of the nicest camp sites in the land (for developed campgrounds). What ARE those hooks for? Hanging up laterns? Giant fish? Errant spouses?
    Are there any good websites telling what federal campgrounds have electricity? Some national parks have ONE site with electric for wimpy people like me who need oxygen. I have found no source listing these elusive electric sites. At the north rim of the Grand Canyon, I asked politely and was shown a place to plug in ;-)
    As you have already discovered, every campground host has access to A/C power and they will often allow those with such needs to tap in.

Hmmm. Well let's see -- first a slight digression -- since Florida is home, if you are not already aware of Michelle Stigleman's book "Wheelchairs on the Go" you might wish to pick it up. Her book is really detailed and has that kind of data for Florida locations. More info in my review here.

It is not a web site, but Frommer's RV & Ten Campground Guide has much of that information. Review here. You probably already know all of the Tips that Alice writse about -- but do you use Don Wright's guides?

Alice has her own occasional mobility issues and I will ask her for some current intel on this.

Mark

3. Default snicker....

I usually hang my poncho or towel on those hooks. I detest BRIGHT camp lanterns. Give me a nice candle lantern or Coleman rechargeable lantern any day.

Yup...I have Don Wright's books, plus the Coleman National Forest campground book, the Corps of Engineers book, a membership to Passport America, AAA campbooks with all the federal sites marked in different colors....used to have one for national parks but must have sold it with my underground house. Oooops!

Default What is an underground house?

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingWendy
    but must have sold it with my underground house. Oooops!
    What is an underground house?

Mark

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    What is an underground house?

Mark

Ummmmm.....a house that is underground! Pics on my website. Check out my daughter's crosscountry bike trip while you are there ;-)
    http://peaceandcarrots.homestead.com/

Default Yay!!! Another camper.

Sounds like you have a neat rig. I have nothing to offer in the way of advice but I wanted to common on your website. Your farm sounds like a great place to have lived. And your daughter's biking trip sounds amazing.

I envy your time to travel like you do. It's a dream of mine!

Oh....cool underground house, too. We talked about building one in the first few years of our marriage. But it just wasn't to be.

7. Default "New" rig ;-)

Just got a 1974 nineteen foot Fleetwood Tioga RV. I have my van for sale....and hope someone buys it soon as I can only drive one rig at a time!

WOW! It's really nice to be able to stand up straight :-)

I am camping in Cottonwood Canyon near Salt Lake City. It's nice and cool up there when it's 90's in the city.

Hmmmmm....where shall I go next? Anybody been to Flaming Gorge? I'm not sure what direction to head next....am trying to avoid going back to Florida until it cools off more.