1. Default RT from CA to TX

Hi!
    I'm moving to Texas from California. I am driving there and still planning my trip. I was wondering about the best places to stop and see. Was thinking of seeing Grand Canyon South Rim and then driving down south to Phoenix. I am planning on spending one night in Flagstaff, but not sure where elese I should stop! Any suggestions? I have approximately 4 days to get to TX from CA.
    Thanks

Default They're big states

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Where in Texas are you starting from and where in California are you heading?

I'd say for the most part it will make a lot more sense to drive to Phoenix via I-10 and then head north to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon before continuing west towards CA on I-40.

4 days should likely be enough time to make the trip, but again depending upon your exact starting and stopping points, it could be rushed to fit in a trip to the Canyon.

3. Default

Hey Michael,
    thanks for your reply! I am actually starting my trip from CA (San Jose area) and heading to San Antonio. I am trying to figure out my itinerary, so was thinking that Grand Canyon would be a nice stop for at least one day/night, and then contunue down on I-10 to Phoenix, El Paso, San Antonio... As I said, I have more or less 4 days ( leaving on June 28- need to get to San Antonio by July 2)
    Any other place worth seeing or I should try to see the Canyon and then just keep driving down to San Antonio?
    Thanks!

Default Long Distance

I don't know if I would work in a trip to the Grand Canyon under this time frame.

Heading Direct via I-5 and I-10, you are looking at a 1700 mile trip. The grand canyon works out to be a 250+ mile detour - requiring you to travel 500 miles a day.

Now this isn't impossible, but it is on the high side of what most people consider comfortable - and it really won't give you much time to enjoy the canyon. And would make it really difficult to see anything else along the way.

I might instead focus on the fun things that are closer to I-10, like Joshua Tree National Park, Tombstone, AZ, or Carlsbad Caverns. Which would let you take a little more leasurly pace and have more time to enjoy those destinations.

You'll just have to decide how important seeing the Canyon is to you, and how much you feel comfortable driving each day.

5. Default El Paso to San Antonio

Hi!
    I will be driving from San Jose, CA to San Antonio, TX and I pretty much figured out my itinerary. But I need a help with El Paso-San Antonio stretch of my trip. It is approximately 500-550 mi and while I could probably drive that strecth in one day, I was thinking of stopping somewhere on this route. Any suggestions? Any places between El Paso and SA?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-20-2006 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Merged with previous thread for same trip

Default On the Last Leg

As you are aware, you could drive El Paso to San Antonio in a day. It's just a straight shot down I-10, But if you want to take an extra day and see the best of what's in between, then I think your clear choice is Big Bend National Park. A couple of other neat little stops along that route would be the Judge Roy Bean Saloon and Museum in Langtry, and the "Alamo" outside of Brackettville (not the real thing, but the simulation built for the movie of the same name).

AZBuck

Default Spend some time in El Paso?

Quote Originally Posted by alisisa
    But I need a help with El Paso-San Antonio stretch of my trip. It is approximately 500-550 mi and while I could probably drive that strecth in one day, I was thinking of stopping somewhere on this route.
    Well, first do you have some exploring time to spend in El Paso? There is a tram to the to the top of Ranger Peak (5632 feet) that provides an outstanding view (when it is clear...) If go to Big Bend, be sure to have a meal at the Starlight Theater in Terlingua! Hondo, Texas is a good place to stop overnight and I recommend a meal at the "no-tip-required-family-restaurant" El Restaurante Azteca.

Mark

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Try Rt 66 for a Bit

Just south of the Grand Canyon, you can check out Williams

and Winslow, Arizona, where the Eagles were "Standing on the Corner." They're both on Route 66, so, if you have time, get off I-40 and check it out.

You probably won't have enough time this trip, but do it sometime in the future, perhaps on a return visit to California.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-21-2006 at 08:10 AM. Reason: added a photo for "Standing on a Corner"

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Great Picture

I am hoping to get to see it myself this fall, if I can afford the gas. We've been as far west on Rt 66 as Tucumcari and have definitely had our appetites whetted by the "Cars" movie.

Default Wasn't that a great movie!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog
    have definitely had our appetites whetted by the "Cars" movie.
    I really liked that flick. Good job with all sorts of insider-humor about cars and road trips!

Mark