Default Best road atlas?

What do you think is the best road atlas? I need one that is durable, easy to read, and comprehensive. I was looking at a Rand McNally. Another thing, does it matter what year it is? If i bought an 06, it would be good for a few years to come, right?

Thanks.

Default Atlases (No Shrug)

We have reviewed a number of atlases, and those reviews can be read here. I find that any given atlas is about as durable as I give it leave to be. The better I treat it, the longer it lasts. I generally buy a new one every 5 years or so for the road updates, but keep the older ones for reference and to mark up (I try to keep my current one clean). I am quite happy with the 'standard' Rand McNally Road Atlas, but if you have a map store locally, by all means go there and compare the various atlases side by side to see which meets your particular needs for completeness and legibility but still stays within your budget.

AZBuck

Default Best Deal and Preferences

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin of Bauxite
    What do you think is the best road atlas? I need one that is durable, easy to read, and comprehensive
    With respect to price -- the best one is the Road Atlas by American Map -- we carry one in the back-up roadtrip car. The one I use every day is the Rand McNally 2006 Motor Carriers' Road Atlas
    Another thing, does it matter what year it is? If i bought an 06, it would be good for a few years to come, right?
    I purchase a new one every 1-2 years. But, yes, atlases can last several years.

Mark

Default What I use

I've always had good luck with Rand McNally's atlases. You can pick them up for as little as $5 at most discount stores. I tend to buy a new one every couple of years - not because they are outdated - but rather, because I tend to use them a lot and the bindings start to where out. I always figure I get why more than $5 of use out of them though.

I did get a nice ring bound atlas as a gift last christmas, and I will say there are some advantages to it. It seems to be more durable, and you don't have that annoying crease to try and read through. The specific one I got was a Road Master brand and featured Mapquest maps, which I personally don't think are quite as good as Rand McNally's. I haven't used the American Maps one that Mark recommends, but that is a very good price for a ring bound atlas, and I'm certainly going to consider it the next time I'm in the market.

Default I'm a Rand-McNally fan, too.

Here's the one I usually get. I like the spiral binding as it holds up better and I like the detail maps for cities and some national parks. I usually get a new one every 4-6 years.

When I go someplace new, I usually also get my free maps from AAA to supplement the atlas.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default RM Atlases

As far as an atlas, I go with the standard Road Atlas from Rand McNally. I get one every so often. I too supplement AAA maps, as well as other local maps and Thomas Guides for more detailed maps.

In other words... I have a LOT of maps. And I use them all.

- Brad

Thanks for all the help guys. I was looking at a spiral midsize version of the rand mcnally at walmart for ten bucks, but i might just go with judy's version. No need to skimp on something as important as maps.