1. Default (another) San Francisco to Seattle roadtrip

OK, after much office time devoted to trip research instead of work (including extensive use of this site) I have come up with the following trip (with wife and 2 teen daughters), departing Boston 6/24:

Fly to SF, spend 3 days. Take older daughter to visit Stanford to try to generate some interest in actually applying to college next fall. Then road trip to Seattle as follows:

Day 1: Leave Palo Alto, drive to and hike Pt. Reyes, head up Rt.1, maybe horse rides in Bodega Bay, spend night at Whale Watch Inn near Gualala.
    Day 2: drive to Humboldt Redwood state park, camp in Hidden Springs campground.
    Day 3: do a hike in the park, then drive east to Shasta area, spend night at Castle Crags campground.
    Day 4: do a wildflower hike,then drive north to Crater Lake area (I5 to 62), stay at Prospect Inn.
    Day 5: visit Crater Lake, hike Mt. Garfield, drive to Eugene. Either stay in town or camp (maybe McKenzie Bridge).
    Day 6: day hike in Willamette Natl Forest, then drive to Portland, stay with friends.
    Day 7: drive to Seattle, see Mt. St. Helens on the way, arrive in time for friend’s 4th of July party.

Obviously a lot is weather dependent. And yes, I know it is a long time on the road with kids. We travel pretty well together –thank heaven for iPods. Any comments appreciated. Specific questions: best route to take from Gualala area (or north) to 101? I’ll probably be tired of the coast road by then so I won’t want to take it all the way. Also, there are 2 routes from Redwoods to I5: 36 to 3 to 299,or 299 all the way. Any preferences?

Thanks in advance!

Default We always like to hear that!

Quote Originally Posted by drb
    OK, after much office time devoted to trip research instead of work
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Fly to SF, spend 3 days. Take older daughter to visit Stanford to try to generate some interest in actually applying to college next fall.
    That does sound like a challenge!
    Day 2: drive to Humboldt Redwood state park, camp in Hidden Springs campground.
    I just drove a section of that route today -- As long as you are NOT driving a RV, take the coastal road between Orick and the mouth of the Klamath River. It is a great, great drive.

The rest of your schedule sounds pretty darn good. Hwy 299 is a long-term favorite.

Mark

3. Default

Thanks Mark. However, sorry I was not clear - 2nd day is a drive from Gualala area only to Humboldt state park - not as far as Redwood Nat'l park. I am wondering where to turn inland to get to 101 - 253 from Pt Arena? 20 from north of Mendocino? Or does it not make a difference and just take 1 until it joins 101?

Also, I was wondering about taking 36 to I-5 instead of 299 because it is closer to Humboldt state park and I would avoid Eureka.

And I won't be in an RV, just in some "full-size" (HA!) rental car.

Default Another recommendation!

Day 2: drive to Humboldt Redwood state park,
    Since I knew you were going to drive this way, I made a point of driving part of the route today and have another recommendation for your day 2 location. As long as you you are not driving a RV -- I do have a recommendation for a campground you will never forget. It is a few miles south of your planned stopover -- and depending on the level of the South Fork of the Eel River it may not open until July 1st, but if it is open.... drive to the Standish-Hickey State recreation area (near Garberville) and get a place in the Redwood Campground. You will not believe this place -- you actually cross the river on a log bridge and even though you are less than 15 minutes from nice restaurants and amentities -- you will almost feel like you are miles and miles from civilization.

Mark

5. Default Oregon: Crater Lake to Eugene

We'll be driving from Crater Lake to Eugene - any recommendations on Rt. 62 (to I-5) vs. Rt. 58? (we will be coming into Crater Lake on Rt. 62, staying at Prospect Motel, so we'll have traveled the lower half of the road). Thanks.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-15-2006 at 09:00 AM.

Default Sr-138?

We'll be driving from Crater Lake to Eugene - any recommendations on Rt. 62 (to I-5) vs. Rt. 58?
    I am guessing you meant to write SR-138? Actually to even get to SR-58 you would have to travel on SR-138. Route 58 is an OK road, but I think SR-138 is a little more scenic since it closely follows the Clearwater and then the North Umpqua River and there are numerous views of basalt outcroppings and mountain views Places to note as you head northeast: Just before you reach Diamond Lake you should see Mount Thielsen (pointy) and Mount Bailey (more rounded) off to your right. After the road bends to the west, you will see two gorgeous roadside waterfalls (Clearwater and Horseshoe). Just before you reach the North Umpqua River, you should see a trailhead for Watson Falls. It is only a short walk (1/2 mile) to Watson Falls which falls nearly 300 feet.

When you reach Glide -- stop at the visitor center -- the rivers will be relatively calm, but if you ever can return to this spot during the spring snow melt -- the Little River "collides" with the North Umpqua and creates a natural water show. And then it is hop, skip and a jump to Roseburg and I-5.
    One follow-up question: how long will it take to drive from Crater lake
    to Eugene on SR-138/I-5? Thanks.
    It really depends on how often you stop and look at the waterfalls and etc. If you were to drive straight-thru, I would guess you could cover the 90 mile distance in a couple of hours.

On your way into Crater Lake on SR-62 (a couple more places to watch for):
    When you reach the Lost Creek Lake dam -- start looking for the Osprey nests in the trees!

I am really curious to learn what you think of the historic Prospect Hotel!
    Be sure to walk down to the viewpoint where you can see two 175-foot waterfalls as they spill into the Rogue.

Right before Union Creek, look for the road to the west for the Natural Bridge Campground. This is a 200-foot lava tube that the Rogue River runs through!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-16-2006 at 09:50 AM. Reason: More information

7. Default

That's correct, it is SR-138. My bad. Thanks for the recommendations, thats exactly what I wanted to know.

Looks like there is a website for this route:
    http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/2147/

8. Default CA299 Frm Calif Coast Inland

Only thing I'd caution you on is CA299 inland frm the coast... Two lane very winding road... Not one you make time on... Many years ago drove from Arcata to Redding via CA299 - four hours minimum... Beautiful scenery & like the road very much... Just be aware... Plus will add, CA1 north from SF is no super hwy either... But again, great road & scenery... Okay, one more thing... Right now Mt St Helens is venting on & off plus building its "FIN"... So be prepared to hear at absolutely no notice that road & Johnson Ridge are closed for safety reason... Happens now & again... Good luck on your trip... Sounds great... Grampa425

Default Perhaps it has been improved?

Quote Originally Posted by Grampa425
    Only thing I'd caution you on is CA299 inland frm the coast... Two lane very winding road... Not one you make time on... Many years ago drove from Arcata to Redding via CA299 - four hours minimum.
    I just drove it last week. I drove it at dusk so had to watch for those pesky deer and drove relatively slow -- a couple hours transit between Redding and Arcata.

Probably a bigger challenge is "Big Slide" is active again and the highway department has installed bright lights so you can see that huge rock that is about to crush your car.... just before it hits you!

Mark