1. Default Help with planning - Baltimore to Fresno, CA

Hi - I'm in desparate need of some advice. I'm moving out to Fresno, CA from Baltimore , MD & am thinking about driving my car out there since the car transport company I'm using has done nothing but lie to me for the past month. Is it possible to do the trek alone from 6/15-6/19? And which would be the fastest route? Thanks!

Tucson, AZ

Default It Is Possible - But you'll have to Keep Moving

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

Baltimore to Fresno is just under 2800 miles by the shortest Interstate route (I-70 to St. Louis, I-44 to OKC, I-40 to Barstow (CA), CA-58 to Bakersfield, and CA-99 to Fresno). That means, assuming that your dates of 6/15 to 6/19 are inclusive, that you'll have to cover about 560 miles a day. You won't have much time for sight seeing along the way, but such a RoadTrip is well within the realm of possibility for most people. So if you and the car are up for it, it could be a good way to be alone with your thoughts and your favorite music for a while, and see some great scenery through the windshield.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Cross Country

You certainly could make the trip in 5 days. It is a lot of driving in a relatively short amount of time. The route is about 2800 miles, so you'll need to plan for about 10 hours a day in the car. Its a long trip on the upper end of what I would advise for a solo trip, but it is certainly possible.

As far as route, I see 3 major options:

Take I-70 all the way to I-15 in Utah and head south.

Take I-70 to St. Louis and head towards OK City and I-40. (US-66 Route)

Take I-81 to Knoxville, TN, then take I-40 all the way west.

All of the Routes take you to Barstow, CA, where you'll take CA-58 to Bakersfield, and then CA-99 to Fresno.

All 3 should take roughly the same amount of time, the best option purely depends upon where you'd like to travel.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default A Cautionary Note

Quote Originally Posted by raisingal
    I'm moving out to Fresno, CA from Baltimore , MD & am thinking about driving my car out there
    As both Midwest Michael and AZBuck have mentioned, it is possible, but I am little concerned about the time frame. Moving is stressful and the drive you are anticipating will not be relaxing. Is you car fully capable of making this speed run? What happens if you break down enroute and are late arriving in Fresno? Professional drivers make such runs all of the time, but their equipment is up to the challenges. Have you looked at Drive-Away transport options?

If you do elect to "go for it" please read our tips for safe speed runs and remember to drink lots of water, take frequent breaks and stretch 2-3 times per day.