Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Default Is this route "Do-able" ?

    Hello all,

    Firstly I apologise for starting yet another thread about California & Nevada; this forum has been invaluable for helping me with my planning so far, but I still have a few queries I hope someone can help me with!

    I'm getting married in Las Vegas (at Valley of Fire) in October, and afterwards (25th October) we're picking up a convertible and then we have until 25th of November until we fly back out of LAX.

    So far we've plotted out where we'd like to stop off, which will hopefully allow for not having to drive for too long at a time:

    Las Vegas
    Death Valley
    MOn Lake
    Bodie
    Yosemite
    Lake Tahoe
    Sacramento
    San Francisco
    Then all the way down PCH stopping off a lot!
    Finishing at San Diego

    The only bit I'm concerned about is the driving from LV to Lake Tahoe - will be ok in a convertible at that time of year, and do road even exist that will take us the route we're looking at?

    Any advice much appreciated, including alternative suggestions and side trips.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,060

    Default Fees at Valley of Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenga
    Firstly I apologise for starting yet another thread about California & Nevada; this forum has been invaluable for helping me with my planning so far, but I still have a few queries I hope someone can help me with!
    No problem and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I'm getting married in Las Vegas (at Valley of Fire) in October
    Congratulations and the venue will be fantastic. Are you aware that all marriages conducted in the park require a permit and a fee? That regulation is tightly enforced, everytime I go, I see wedding parties.
    and afterwards (25th October) we're picking up a convertible and then we have until 25th of November until we fly back out of LAX.
    Sounds like a great honeymoon plan.

    So far we've plotted out where we'd like to stop off, which will hopefully allow for not having to drive for too long at a time:

    Your plan looks reasonable -- good job. Road to Bodie is gravel/dirt with lots of washboard.
    The only bit I'm concerned about is the driving from LV to Lake Tahoe - will be ok in a convertible at that time of year, and do road even exist that will take us the route we're looking at?
    US-395 is just one of about six major routes between these two points.

    Happy Planning!

    Mark

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    Are you aware that all marriages conducted in the park require a permit and a fee? That regulation is tightly enforced, everytime I go, I see wedding parties.....

    Your plan looks reasonable -- good job. Road to Bodie is gravel/dirt with lots of washboard. US-395 is just one of about six major routes between these two points.
    Thanks Mark, I think I'll get hold of a map and have a good look at the roads before I ask any more stoopid questions!

    The wedding is all booked through an agency in Las Vegas, and includes the permit and fee and minister etc (and cake and limos etc!). Hopefully all we have to do is turn up :)

    Maybe I should forget Bodie then - that wasn't one of the main places we want to see, as I understand the route will go past a number of ghost towns.

  4. #4

    Default

    (I registered on these forums just to advise you on this haha. Ahh well.)

    Yes that route looks do-able to me. You can get from Las Vegas to Lake Tahoe by taking I-15 from Vegas to Barstow. Then get on Highway 58, which will take you to Highway 395. That route goes winding up through the mountains and it's a beautiful drive. Once you get to Carson City, you'll have to take Highway 50 west and up into South Lake Tahoe. From there you can drive all around the lake quite easily.

    However, having lived nearly 10 years in the Sierra Nevada mountains (in S. Lake Tahoe and surrounding areas), I would caution you one thing. Keep in mind that in the Tahoe area it has snowed every single month of the year and that the weather there can change drastically. Before you head up into the higher elevations, I would check with CalTrans (the state transportation authority) for road conditions. There may be some parts of 395 or 50 that are closed down because of the weather, though usuallyl it's later in the year than that. I know that when I lived in Lake Tahoe it snowed or sleeted every single Halloween that we were there.

    A convertible would probably be okay, provided you are prepared to put the top back on should things turn ugly out.

    That being said, have a wonderful trip! It's some of the most beautiful country in the U.S. (he said with obvious bias).

    And congrats on your wedding!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,060

    Default Nothing stupid here

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenga
    Thanks Mark, I think I'll get hold of a map and have a good look at the roads before I ask any more stoopid questions!
    I didn't notice until about three seconds ago, that you are from the UK -- we try and cut international visitors a little more slack -- but yes there are many roads between Las Vegas and Lake Tahoe. There are about 475 threads on this forum discussing this route. If you look at the bottom of this page, you can read some of that discussion and I urge you to use the Search function to find more.
    The wedding is all booked through an agency in Las Vegas, and includes the permit and fee and minister etc (and cake and limos etc!). Hopefully all we have to do is turn up :)
    I am sure it will be wonderful!
    Maybe I should forget Bodie then - that wasn't one of the main places we want to see, as I understand the route will go past a number of ghost towns.
    Bodie is pretty cool, but since this a rental vehicle -- you could catch some serious flack for driving off-highway. 99% of all ghost towns are accessible from dirt roads -- again that could be challenge for your rental. One that comes to mind, that sports, easy paved access would be Rhyolite near Beatty, NV. Another place for you to pencil in during your time in the Lake Tahoe area would be Virginia City. It is a living town, but full of western charm and characters.

    Mark

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,060

    Default Multiple ideas are always better!

    Quote Originally Posted by twixplz
    Yes that route looks do-able to me. You can get from Las Vegas to Lake Tahoe by taking I-15 from Vegas to Barstow.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! We always like and appreciate local input. One thing to note, this poster is planning on traveling to Lake Tahoe from Las Vegas via Death Valley and so they wouldn't be using I-15 to Barstow.
    (I registered on these forums just to advise you on this haha. Ahh well.)
    Well, now, you can share more information with the rest of us! Welcome!

    Where do you live now?

    Mark

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! We always like and appreciate local input. One thing to note, this poster is planning on traveling to Lake Tahoe from Las Vegas via Death Valley and so they wouldn't be using I-15 to Barstow.
    Well, now, you can share more information with the rest of us! Welcome!

    Where do you live now?

    Mark
    Oh! Gosh I totally looked over that detail when I was reading. My apologies! You look to have covered it though, so hopefully I didn't cause too much confusion.

    And nowadays I call Houston, Texas home :) I've traveled to 36 out of 50 states, at last count (and I'm only 27, so I've got lots of time heh).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,060

    Default Lot of "interesting" memories from Houston!

    Quote Originally Posted by twixplz
    And nowadays I call Houston, Texas home :) I've traveled to 36 out of 50 states, at last count (and I'm only 27, so I've got lots of time heh).
    That is a goodly number, I have been in 50 US states, five Canadian provinces, two Mexican states, driven slightly over 1 million miles and still consider my "roadtrip coverage" to have been less than ~13% of what there is to see in North America. So, you have lots more exploring left to go.

    Houston, I have never seen an area flood faster than Houston in a tropical storm. Plenty of interesting memories from there.

    What is your favorite road trip place within one hour of Houston? We are big advocates for the concept of the Two Hour RoadTrip around here!

    Mark

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    Houston, I have never seen an area flood faster than Houston in a tropical storm. Plenty of interesting memories from there.
    Oh I know exactly what you mean. I'm originally from California and until I moved here (about 4.5 years ago) I had never seen rain like this. There have been times when we've been out driving and had to pull off the road because we can't see the front of our car for all the rain. I love it though :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    What is your favorite road trip place within one hour of Houston? We are big advocates for the concept of the Two Hour RoadTrip around here!
    Wow there's so many, it's hard to pick. We're lucky to have two totally beautiful and unique cities within three hours - Austin and San Antonio. Closer though, I think I'd have to say Brenham. Not only do you get to experience the beginnings of the Hill Country with its country lanes that show off bluebonnets and thick forests, you also get to visit the Blue Bell ice cream factory. Being a guy who is fond of ice cream, it's a great stop. You can drive out there on Highway 290 and/or take little scenic farm-to-market roads back to town.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,060

    Default Blue Bell ice cream factory & Brenham!

    Quote Originally Posted by twixplz
    Wow there's so many, it's hard to pick. We're lucky to have two totally beautiful and unique cities within three hours - Austin and San Antonio. Closer though, I think I'd have to say Brenham. Not only do you get to experience the beginnings of the Hill Country with its country lanes that show off bluebonnets and thick forests, you also get to visit the Blue Bell ice cream factory.
    Hey, that is very cool to know. As a Texan resident, you may already know about TexasEscapes.com, but if not, you are in for a treat -- I have found all sorts of amazing Texan hideaways and historical factoids on this site.

    Mark

Similar Threads

  1. Driving from Los Angeles to Baltimore, MD, Fastest Route?
    By sd1023x in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 07:59 PM
  2. LA to Vegas and back to SF
    By fbarao in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 12:46 AM
  3. Route 1 from New York to Florida
    By SusanT in forum Off the Beaten Path
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2004, 03:46 PM
  4. Atlanta to San Francisco tomorrow - northern route?
    By imported_stacy in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 05:22 PM
  5. Route from FL to CA??
    By HiddenSky in forum Gear-Up!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-21-2002, 09:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name

    Loading...



  • MORE STORIES