My friend and I are planning on taking a road trip across country. We are both flying out to Los Angeles, and then driving back to Philadelphia. we will be staying overnight at each stop and moving on in the morning.
We have the following legs of the journey. and any tips from people who have made similar trips would be great.
1. Los Angeles to Las Vegas - Inspired by the book fear and Loathing in Las vegas I am looking forward to driving into vegas. Is there anything interesting along this path that we can stop and see before we hit sin city?
2. Las Vegas to Phoenix - I know the grand canyon and the hoover dam are along this path somewhere, do you have any tips on what to visit or see along here?
3. Phoenix to El Paso - I have no idea what is on this leg of the journey, New Mexico is a mystery and it seems every major NM city is well north of our path. Are we just driving into a dead zone? or is there actually a way to make this trek a bit more interesting?
4. El Paso to Austin - Again this leg seems to have us cruising across open country I know there are a few interesting things as we close in on Austin but any suggestions on stops along this path would be great..
5. Austin to New Orleans - Houston and Burbon St are the highlights here as far as I can tell.
6. New Orleans - Memphis - Mississippi is a mystery and other than going through the state I am not privy to anything interesting until we hit graceland.
7. Memphis - Somewhere in Virginia - Not sure where we will end up stopping on this leg, we will pass through nashville but we may just drive until we can;t on our way north to PA
8. Philadelphia Bound..
So yeah if you live in these areas or along this route or have driven any of the legs I would love to hear from you..