1. Default Pacific Coast Highway scary spots?

hi everyone,
    I am planning a roadtrip with 2 other people (one elderly) in July to drive up the coast of California. We only have 5 days (Arrive in afternoon on day 1 and leave in morning of day 6). So far the plan is to fly into LAX and out of Sacramento with max 3-4 hours driving per day and the rest of each day spent at several stops along the way.

From what I've heard, I'm kind of worried about the curves along some points of the route. Making tight curves on a narrow road on the side of a cliff with no guard rail unnerves me. Wanted to know if some one can tell me some of the worst areas so that someone braver can drive those parts :-)

Also if there are alternate routes around those areas --I know I would probably be sacrificing some scenery, but maybe explore another area/town/unusual attraction instead--that would be helpful. Something relaxing with not too much walking.

We were also wondering if a side trip to yosemite (just quick overview of main areas using park shuttles to look at scenery--no hiking or anything for this trip) is too much to fit into the 5 days.

thanks

Default Drive North

There are sections of the coastal highway where there are no guard-rails but they're here-and-there and it's difficult to tell you where they are. If this will be a problem for you, your best bet is simply to drive north. Then you won't be near the cliffs on the beach side as there will be the other lane, the south-bound lane, plus the shoulder between you and the edge. That's my best advice.

It's a beautiful drive....I prefer the south-bound lane, actually, because I like the views better from that side. Just drive at a pace that suits you and don't let anybody behind you, riding your tail, make you feel rushed. It would be polite to pull over for cars who wish to go faster while driving at your own slower pace.

Personally, in the time you have, I wouldn't bother with Yosemite. You would have to really fly to get there and you wouldn't have much time to explore either the coast or Yosemite. It would add about 300 miles to your trip. It would add less miles if you leave Yosemite to get to Sacramento on side roads. However, if the coastal route is intimidating to you, I'm not sure that these mountain routes will make you feel any better. Maybe someone more familiar with the areas around Yosemite can give you better advice. I've not had the good fortune to visit there yet.

I would stay on the coast itself and not veer inland. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong because it's been awhile since I've done it, but I don't recall anything inland to rival the coastal highway and the things to see/do along the coast.

Default Five days would be just about right on the coast

Quote Originally Posted by violetkites
    I am planning a roadtrip with 2 other people (one elderly) in July to drive up the coast of California. We only have 5 days (Arrive in afternoon on day 1 and leave in morning of day 6). So far the plan is to fly into LAX and out of Sacramento with max 3-4 hours driving per day and the rest of each day spent at several stops along the way.
    If you plan to stay on the coast, you can easily find some cool stuff to look at every day and still keep that 3-4 hours of driving time. If you try and include Yosemite NP, it would still be possible but you would be hard-pressed to drive less then than 3-4 hour window. I will be back in the office on Friday and will post some ideas for exploring the coast.

There are some tight curves -- but it really isn't that much a problem -- just about every size vehicle travels along the route. Slowing down solves most problems.

Mark

4. Default Did it in 67

violetkites

I took the PCH from LA to Frisco with my grandpa in 67. Thanks for reminding me. It's a wonderful drive, although Gramps did ask "Did you take this road on purpose?" Good luck