jeanniemk Guest

Default CA to TN I-40.....FL to CA I-10

We are planning this trip between 8/6-20'06. We will start very early from Barstow, CA then head to Albuquerque, NM (one night); 8/7 we'll head to Grand Lake, OK (2 nights); 9th to Memphis (one night); 10th to Nashville (2 nights); 12th to Savannah, GA to Daytona Beach, FL (2 nights); 14th to New Orleans (one night); 15th to San Antonio, TX (one night); 16th to Tucson, AZ (two nights); 18th to Indio, CA (two nights).

Wondered if there are any fellow road trippers done this route or even part of it, then maybe you might have some "do this" and "don't do this" on any portion of this 2 week trip. Heading east will be I-40 and back west is I-10.
    My daughter wants to check out schools in Nashville and I am making one of my dreams come true.... "Crossing the country from the Pacific to the Atlantic"; traveling the famed 66 (partially) to the part of the country I never went before. Looking for suggestions..... we are just as OPEN as road ahead of us!!

Default Barstow -- One of my favorite Route 66 destinations

Quote Originally Posted by jeanniemk
    We will start very early from Barstow, CA
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! If you go to the car show at the Harvey House next month -- you may see me there. Did you know Greg and Ed Parker? OK, I digress...
    then head to Albuquerque, NM (one night);
    Barstow to Albuquerque in one day -- Yikes! 675 miles (12 hours of travel)
    8/7 we'll head to Grand Lake, OK (2 nights);
    I hope you sleep in before driving another 715 miles (13 more hours on the road).
    9th to Memphis (one night);
    Finally a reasonable day ~ 395 miles. Phew!
    10th to Nashville (2 nights);
    Positively relaxing at only 212 miles! The rest of your trip has some similar long days, I hope you have a co-driver?
    Wondered if there are any fellow road trippers done this route or even part of it, then maybe you might have some "do this" and "don't do this" on any portion of this 2 week trip.
    I have driven all sections several times. It is all fascinating country. But I really wonder if you can really cover this much ground in two weeks and still have any time for your daughter to really have enough time in Nashville. If you made Nashville your eastern terminus, you could spend some really cool time looking at the historical sites along Route 66, go to some national parks and actually enjoy this drive.
    and I am making one of my dreams come true.... "Crossing the country from the Pacific to the Atlantic";
    This is pretty compelling, but if you drove flat out by the fastest possible route it would take nine full days of driving (4.5 days one way) just to accomplish the cross country run. Trying to squeeze in those other cities, will be tough!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-16-2006 at 04:11 PM.