1. Default Oklahoma City OK to Orlando FL

My family and I are taking a road trip to Walt Disney World in a few days. We are seen several different ways to take the trip. I am wanting to take the fastest way there. I have heard from one person that no matter what any web generated maps are telling me. I should take I40 all the way to Nashville and then take I75 all the way in to Orlando. The Rand McNally web sight says to take I40 to Memphis and then cut through Mississippi heading to Birmingham AL. Others have told me to take I40 all the way to Memphis and then take I55 all the way through Mississippi to I10 and then down the coast to FL. I am worried about taking that route due to the hurricane last year, and cutting through MS doesn’t really seem good because of the state highways and no interstates. Going to Nashville seems out of the way but it is all interstate driving. Can anyone offer any advice please?

Default I-20 Perchance?

Quote Originally Posted by jlewis01
    My family and I are taking a road trip to Walt Disney World in a few days.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Be sure to check out this thread about our favorite guide books to WDW!

If it were me, I would head south on I-35 to Dallas and then head east on I-20 and the follow US-80 to Montgomery and probably US-82 to I-75. Both US-80 and US-82 are good highways and you can move nearly as fast as on the Interstate highways. When you reach I-75 and then into Florida, Dave Hunter's books can't be beat for traveler help and ideas.

Mark

Default Options and Costs

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

Each of the options you've laid out is a viable alternative for getting from OKC to Orlando. There is no 'best' way, and the final choice will be up to you. Here's what advice I can offer:

I-40 to Memphis, US-78 to Birmingham, I-20 to Atlanta, I-75 to Orlando (last bit on Florida's Turnpike): 1295 miles

I-40 to Nashville, I-75 to Orlando: 1375 miles

I-40 to Memphis, I-55 to I-10 and I-75 into Orlando: 1475 miles

The Editor's Route: 1317 miles, so nearly as short as the Memphis-Birmingham route, but does entail some limitied two-lane highway. I did drive much of US-80 last summer, and will second Mark's contention that it can support nearly freeway speeds except through the towns. BUT (and this is a big 'but', it has the distinct advantage of bypassing Atlanta.

For my money, I'd stick with the Memphis, Birmingham routing. It's the shortest, and I think that you'd be hard pressed to make up the time saved by the 100 mile shortcut over the purely Interstate route. The gulf coast route holds no apparent appeal. US-78 between Memphis and Birmingham is nearly Interstate quality (controlled access, multi-lane) for pretty close to it's entire length, and should not be feared. A close second would be Mark's suggestion. Again, in the end, it's your call.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-15-2006 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Added mileage for and discussion of Mark's routing

4. Default

I agree Editor however the one thing that I didnt mention is that we are picking up our parents in Roland Oklahoma, more or less that is Ft Smith AR.

Default OK -- I would still drop southward

the one thing that I didnt mention is that we are picking up our parents in Roland Oklahoma, more or less that is Ft Smith AR.
    OK, well, then I would still head south on I-55 at Memphis and re-join I-20 at Jackson and head east as above. AZBuck's recommendation is to stick to the Interstates and he might well be correct -- if the weather is dry and roads are clear either option is about the same -- but if it is storming, the interstate route will be faster, (marginally).

Mark

6. Default

so are you saying that you would not take hw 78 to birmingham al and then catch up to I20 there to atlanta? that is the way that rand mcnally said to go. I was most worried about that way because hw78 turns into a much smaller hw5 right past the mississippi border.

Default US-78 to US-45 to US-82

so are you saying that you would not take hw 78 to birmingham al and then catch up to I20 there to Atlanta?
    If it were me, I would avoid Atlanta for speed run purposes (it is a fun place to visit on its own right) but I would take the diagonal US-78 to US-45 to US-82 to I-75.

Mark