1. Default Los Angeles to Portland, OR Trip

My partner and I are moving from LA to Portland, OR in mid June. We are entertaining the idea taking 4 or 5 days to drive up in our Mini cooper with our dog. We would really like to mix up the drive by going along the coast and through the mountains. Being slightly strapped for cash, we would perfer to camp or stay in really cheap motels. If anyone has any ideas of routes to take, places to stop, or planning tips, we would love to hear from you. Thanks!
    -steve-

Default Pch

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

4-5 days should give you time to see quite a bit of the coast from LA to Portland, although depending upon how much you stop, you may have to plan to cut over to the freeway for some of your trip.

If you do a search of the forum for oregon coast and california coast, you should be able to find quite a few ideas to help you out, like This Thread, which has quite a few suggestions for enjoying the oregon portion of your trip.

3. Default

Thanks for the insight. We really want to mix up mountain driving with coastal highways. Would it be better to stay in the mountains through most of California, and then find our way to highway 299 (Redding, CA) to take us out to the coast? I have always heard that the Oregon coastline is more beautiful then California's, but.......I don't know.

Default It tends to the same type of driving

Quote Originally Posted by sjkennon
    We really want to mix up mountain driving with coastal highways.
    For the most part, driving on the coast in Northern California IS mountain driving -- full of twisting up and down as you drive through the coastal ranges. It only looks flat on a map.
    Would it be better to stay in the mountains through most of California, and then find our way to highway 299 (Redding, CA) to take us out to the coast?
    It is mostly a matter of how much time you have. But with 4-5 days and the smaller car, I would think you might enjoy the coast road. On the other hand the SR-299 from Redding to Eureka goes through gorgeous country.
    I have always heard that the Oregon coastline is more beautiful then California's
    , I dunno -- I really enjoy driving both coastlines.

Mark

5. Default A slight change of plans

So I have been playing with the Idea of driving up to see Yosemite. I know that summers tned to be crowded, so is it still worth it to drive up there in mid June? and if so, I want to take State Route 41 North into the park and take SR 120 West out of the park, but I can't figure out whether there is a through route or not. My map has some tiny (and I mean tiny) breaks in the road, but I looked up another map online and it looks like I would be able to drive on through. The last thing I want to do I drive all the way up into the park and then have to lose a day to back tracking. Does anyone have any idea what the deal is?

Default Yosemite Access

Quote Originally Posted by sjkennon
    So I have been playing with the Idea of driving up to see Yosemite....so is it still worth it to drive up there in mid June?
    Just one word -- Waterfall --- Yes, this is prime time!
    and if so, I want to take State Route 41 North into the park and take SR 120 West out of the park, but I can't figure out whether there is a through route or not.
    No problem, you can take SR-41 into the Valley and then take SR-120 through Harden Flat and on out to Groveland and all the way into the San Joaquin valley at Oakdale and beyond.

Mark