Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default North Carolina to California

Hi everyone..

I am in California and plan to visit North Carolina this summer. I plan to drive back with a rental car because i want to avoid driving alone getting there. I have never driven a route like this before.

Could anyone tell me how long it might take? I mapquested it at about 2700 miles. I dont want to make too many stops and would like to get back as soon as possible.

I was planning to travel on 80.

Please give me your suggestions.

Thanks.

Default I Think I am confused?

Quote Originally Posted by audiracer357
    I plan to drive back with a rental car because i want to avoid driving alone getting there. I have never driven a route like this before.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I am not sure which leg you are describing -- and why will you have passengers on on leg? A one-way rental with a drop-off in another state will be very expensive.
    Could anyone tell me how long it might take?
    I don't know where in California and where in North Carolina -- but I would be the distance will be closer to 2800 miles and it will take five days, traveling at least ten hours each day to cover that distance.

Mark

Default Ca To Nc -- Nc To Ca

I think i didnt make some things clear. I have changed my mind about renting the car one way after doing some thinking today. I will instead be driving there using my own car and driving back.

I am starting from Sacramento, California and ending at Greensboro, North Carolina. I pulled the distance with mapquest to be about 2800 miles as well. Its approximating travel time of 40 hours one way.

I never really travelled much with big road maps as i never needed to. I will pull mapquest directions and definitely take a map with me. Once again, ive never driven so far and i know its not hard but im quite curious about any tips i should be following. If anyone has also done this first time, please tell me if there is anything i should know as a first timer.

I would like to get there and stay there for few days and then come back. I want to make my driving part very fast. I dont want to make too many stops. Can anyone give me any suggestions with these added details?

Thank you all...

Default 50 Hours -- Even at Speed Run Conditions

Once again, ive never driven so far and i know its not hard but im quite curious about any tips i should be following. If anyone has also done this first time, please tell me if there is anything i should know as a first timer.
    I have made a dozen high-speed cross country runs. As a solo, first-timer, I sincerely doubt you can make it any faster than 50 hours of travel. Here are some time-tested tips for speed run travel.

Mark

Default California to North Carolina

Hi...I will be traveling from Sacramento, California to Greensboro, North Carolina. I have looked at different online maps such as: Google, Mapquest, and TravMatix. Google and Mapquest go through different Interstates. Google goes through Indianapolis area whereas Mapquest goes through Nebraska area. Some go on I-70 and some through others. Also, the route is more going above and then back down to NC, rather than cutting straight across, im guessing this is because of the Interstates locations. Does anyone have any recommendation for the route and states to go through as far as roads are concerned?

I will be doing this travel in May-end and would like to know how the roads are. Will I go through mountain area, desert, or city highways in majority? How is the drive on mountain area by Denver? Anyone know what type of weather i might be going through overall, especially through central states?

Please leave me any suggestions you might have in addition to my concerns as it will be great help for my trip planning. Thank You in advance.

Default Spring Weather -- "Wait Five Minutes"

Hi...I will be traveling from Sacramento, California to Greensboro, North Carolina.
    Online mapping programs are great tools -- but I think you need to get a hold of a paper atlas and make some decisions about what kind of road trip you are seeking.
    Also, the route is more going above and then back down to NC, rather than cutting straight across, im guessing this is because of the Interstates locations.
    I am sorry, but I don't know what you are asking... Are you looking for scenic roads or???
    I will be doing this travel in May-end and would like to know how the roads are. Will I go through mountain area, desert, or city highways in majority?
    Yes. You will go through all types of topographical states -- by any route, you will pass through urban areas, rural communities, deserts, mountain, agricultural areas and plains. There is no "majority" unless it would be plains. As far as late May weather --- the old adage applies, "Don't like the weather? Wait five minutes, it will change". There are lots of resources on this site for analyzing weather trends -- but you need to do some of the work yourself. Click here for our recommendations of which services to use.
    How is the drive on mountain area by Denver?
    West of Denver, you will cross the Rockies -- big, big moutains, Denver traffic is heavy -- east of Denver, you are in the plains -- back up to speed.

Mark

Default A Vote for I-70!

I-80 through Wyoming is "not as scenic" compared to I-70 in Utah and Colorado to Denver! I-70 from Salina, Utah and all the way to Denver has to be one of the most scenic sections of Interstate I've ever been on. I would rather drive I-40 than I-80. I-40 is a pretty interesting route.

I plugged in Sacramento to Greensboro, NC. and came up with these figures:

I-80 2711 miles and approx. 37 3/4 hours driving time.

I-70 2853 miles and approx. 39 1/2 hours driving time.

I-40 2775 miles and approx. 38 3/4 hours driving time.

So you see there isn't that much difference in miles and time. You can cut a few miles on the I-70 route by taking Hwy 6 from Salt Lake City to I-70. My time and miles has you taking I-15 down to I-70.

Weather wise, I'd take the southern route of I-40 out before it got to hot and then take I-70 back.

You're going to eat up 10 days coming and going. Have you thought about flying? We live in the SF Bay area and made several trips to South Carolina when my DS and his family was living there. We drove once but had 5 weeks and our visit was just part of our trip. The other three times we flew. It was so easy! We left the house about the time my DH would leave for work and we would be to my son's door about dinner time. With the price of gas and the cost of motels and eating out....flying is pretty cheap. It also gives you more time at your destination.

Utahtea
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-25-2006 at 10:19 AM. Reason: "boring" is an unacceptable word, especially for Wyoming!

Default Fictional Driving Times!

Quote Originally Posted by Utahtea

Utahtea, I know you know just how fictional those driving times are. The only way to match those times for that distance is to utilize the services of the secret service with a full police excort for the entire distance. I will buy gas (well, maybe) for anyone who can drive faster than 48 hours for I-80; 52 hours for I-70 and 49 hours for I-40. But your basic point is OK -- the time distances are relatively the same.

One add on the weather -- this is prime tornado & severe weather season -- he/she would be wise to head south after the 100 degrees meridan and keep an eye on the sky and an ear on the weather alert radio bands until well past Arkansas.

Mark

Default The Route..Weather..

My sincere thanks to you guys for leaving me a suggestion...it makes a big difference for my trip.

I-80 through Wyoming is "not as scenic" compared to I-70 in Utah and Colorado to Denver! I-70 from Salina, Utah and all the way to Denver has to be one of the most scenic sections of Interstate I've ever been on. I would rather drive I-40 than I-80. I-40 is a pretty interesting route.

I used google maps for my direction and it takes me on I-80 till Iowa and then it goes through Illionois, Kentucky and down to NC.

So you see there isn't that much difference in miles and time. You can cut a few miles on the I-70 route by taking Hwy 6 from Salt Lake City to I-70. My time and miles has you taking I-15 down to I-70.

Weather wise, I'd take the southern route of I-40 out before it got to hot and then take I-70 back.
    I am very concerned about the weather because this is my first time driving this far and that too solo. The google map going from (95670 - 27405) goes way above Arkansas and stays up pretty high most of the time.

Utahtea, when you mention going down south when it gets too hot, where should i start going south approximately? and how would i do that? I am fairly new to those roads. I know you mentioned you've gone there a few times. What route do you suggest?

Do you know from your past experiences whether this is a good time to travel?

Thanks.

Default Who do you think is smarter?

I used google maps for my direction and it takes me on I-80 till Iowa and then it goes through Illionois, Kentucky and down to NC.
    Who do you think is brighter? You or Google Maps? Get yourself a paper map -- draw a straight line or piggly wiggly or curved or whatever and then see which of the existing highways best matches your desired route of travel. You are smarter and more capable than any software algorithm is going to be. Ignore the Google Maps suggestion and create your own. If you want an example of a good atlas -- look at these recommendations.
    I am very concerned about the weather because this is my first time driving this far and that too solo.
    Getting worried about weather anyhwere in the USA more than 24 hours in advance is just silly. Every single state in the country maintains a road condition hotline that you can call as you drive along. In fact, in most states the 511 system (like 411) gives road conditions on the fly. If you pick up a hand-held CB radio like we always suggest -- it has built-in weather radio frequencies so you will know as much as the local weather forecasters do, (or close to it).
    when you mention going down south when it gets too hot, where should i start going south approximately? and how would i do that? I am fairly new to those roads. I know you mentioned you've gone there a few times. What route do you suggest?
    Grab that ruler and find a road, any road will probably do just fine.
    Do you know from your past experiences whether this is a good time to travel?
    I have driven over 1,000,000 miles in North America -- you will have no problems over any other month.

Relax, thousands of people travel on these same roads every day of the year. it is not that scary!

Mark