1. Default Driving from Minneapolis to Bangor Maine

We are planning a trip in August for two weeks with a five and a seven year old. Does anyone have any ideas for destinations along the way good for that age? Sights not to be missed? Thanks!

Tucson, AZ

Default Over the Top

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

Actually, what I think might make a great adventure for the kids, and better than any particular place along the way, is to travel through Canada. The shortest route in terms of miles is to go over the top of most of the Great Lakes via Saulte Ste Marie, Sudbury, Ottawa, Montréal and the Eastern Townships of Québec. This route was the subject of a thread earlier today. Have a look at that, particularly at Gen's links to previous discussions and sites about eastern Canada. I think the kids would have fun being in another country, especially if they haven't already been. If the idea appeals, then maybe we can come up with some more specific suggestions.

Another option would be to take the ferry across lake Michigan, cross into Canada north of Detroit, see Niagara Falls, and then cross New York and northern New England. There are a ton of children's attractions in northern Vermont and New Hampshire if you choose to go that way that I could suggest, but it would help to know more about the children. Boy(s)? Girl(s)? Interests? Preferred activity level?

3. Default

Thanks for the welcome! The kids are a boy 7 and a girl, 5. Both with high activity levels but also a good tolerance for road trips. They are very interested in all activities from historical sights to great parks to short hikes, swimming, picnics etc. We love energy burning times! The kids have some places they really would like to stop at on the way and that's why I joined to try to get feedback on it all. We find we are better sightseers at the the beginning of a long road trip and more direct drivers on the way home. We are tentatively looking at Mpls to Chicago, then the kids would like to hit Hershey , PA, Philadelphia, PA, before Maine and then possibly Cooperstown Ny-we also have family we would like to see in rochester NY.
    I like the Canada idea maybe for the ride home-I have not yet had a chance to go to the afore-mentioned Canadian thread. Any ideas, suggestions are welcome! Thanks again!

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Things for the Kids

All right then, just a few places the kids will enjoy along the way. Since you want to front end load the trip, consider a stop in Wisconsin Dells on the first day to let them know that this is going to be a fun trip. Besides all the water slides, just be sure to actually take one of the boat rides through the dells themselves. In Chicago, of course you can't do better than the Field Museum, home of the best T-Rex skeleton in the world. Another great place to blow off energy and have some wonderful experiences, including a scenic train ride, is Cuyahoga Valley National Park outside Cleveland. Hershey is pretty much self-explanatory, but in Philadelphia, be sure to get to the Independence National Historical Park and/or the Franklin Institute. On the way up to Maine, they might enjoy a couple of lower key places outside of Hartford. One is Dinosaur State Park where the main attraction is that they can make plaster casts of real dinosaur tracks. You'll have to buy the plaster at a local hardware store, but everything else needed for the job is at the park. Then take the Rocky Hill-Glastonberry Ferry, a little three car ferry across the Connecticut River. Then, if you're going to be spending some time in Bangor and Rochester, and basically want to make tracks back to Minneapolis, then I'd say Cooperstown and Niagara Falls would just about be all that they (or you) can handle on the way back. All and all, it should be fun.

Last edited by AZBuck; 04-07-2006 at 12:36 PM.