Thread: what to see usa

1. Default what to see usa

Hi,
    myself and two friends of mine are heading from Ireland to San Francisco
    the 16th of april. We are planning a two week holiday,driving from san francisco down to san diego & then onto las vegas. We're all in our late twentys & would be interested in sights,music gigs & adventure sports. Also would to play a few rounds of golf so any ideas or advice would be much appreciated,thanks.

Default Perfect time for a road trip

Quote Originally Posted by Henry S
    myself and two friends of mine are heading from Ireland to San Francisco the 16th of april.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! You should have perfect spring-time weather for your trip.
    We are planning a two week holiday,driving from san francisco down to san diego & then onto las vegas. We're all in our late twentys & would be interested in sights,music gigs & adventure sports.
    Here are some views of the Pacific Coast Highway -- I would take the time to walk out to the waterfall that cascades into the ocean at Julia Pfeiffer State Park and since you guys are all fit(?) take the Ewoldsen Trail up to the top of the bluff for some awesome views of the coast.
    Also would to play a few rounds of golf so any ideas or advice would be much appreciated,thanks.
    Take the 17-mile drive near Carmel for up close views of the famous Pebble Beach golf course Some of the best courses in the west can be found in Las Vegas. Cascata near Boulder City has to be seen to be believed.

Hope this gets you started. Welcome to America!

Mark

3. Default

If you've got a couple of free days in the Las Vegas area, you might consider a drive up I-15 east to St. George, Utah and on to Zion National Park via Utah Hwy. 9. Zion is a spectacular geological park with a wonderful deep canyon that is accessible via free shuttle bus. Zion N.P. is about a three hour drive from Las Vegas.

Here's a Map of Utah Highways.

Now, you could do Zion as a simple day trip or you could, after a visit to Zion, continue on through the park along Hwy. 9 to US Hwy. 89 outside of Kanab and then head north to Bryce Canyon National Park. That would be about an hour and a half to two hour drive. There are plenty of accommodations in the area. You could easily check out Bryce in the morning and be back in Vegas by that night.

{Editor's note: Here are a couple of RTA member field reports: Zion and Bryce.}
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-24-2006 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Added RTA field reports & removed unauthorized lodging link

4. Default on tour/what to see usa

A group of friends and I are heading to San Francisco end of April for two week and will be driving to Las Vegas via san Diago. Is it also worth heading to Mexico for a day since we are down that way. We are not sure what would be worth going to see,if you know of any festivals, secnic roads worth taking or towns worth a visit please tell me. If you know of a motels or hotels we can stay in (cheap and clean) worth staying in let me know or the places worth avoiding.
    We have never been state side before so any thing no matter how small will be gratefullly received

Cheers
    Henry
    Last edited by Quebec Gen; 03-26-2006 at 08:12 AM. Reason: merged threads

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Cheap & Clean

We are not sure what would be worth going to see,if you know of any festivals, secnic roads worth taking or towns worth a visit please tell me. If you know of a motels or hotels we can stay in (cheap and clean)
    If you're into music, check out that book and, by the way, Madonna will be performing at the Coachella Valley Music Festival in Indio on April 30th. The Monterey Wine Festival will be held earlier in April, but I'm sure there'll still be plenty of great product available in that area.

Like Mark pointed out, THE scenic road not to miss in that area is the Pacific Coast Highway, a.k.a. Highway 1. On your way to Las Vegas, for a little scenic detour, cut accross Death Valley National Park and stop by the Furnace Creek Inn for a "perfect 10". If you're a fan of the movie Badgad Café, you might also enjoy visiting its filming location in Newberry Springs, about 15 miles east of Barstow.

Unexpensive accomodations along the west coast can easily be found at any youth hostels like the Green Tortoise in North Beach in San Francisco or the SF International Guesthouse in the Mission, the Hidden Villa Ranch in the Los Altos Hills, Sanborn Park Hostel in San Jose, Monterey Carpenter's Hall Hostel, Hostel Obispo in SLO, Bill's Farm Hostel in Nipomo where you can either make a 12$ donation or work on the farm to pay for your stay, etc.

Here are some relatively cheap accomodations if you're not into hostelling : San Remo Hotel (55$+) in North Beach, the Hayes Valley Inn in the Mission (73$+), Del Monte Beach Inn in Monterey (55$+), Carmel Sands Lodge (68$+), Bridge Street Inn in Cambria (40$+), -- note : Seaside and Marina usually offer cheaper alternatives to the popular and upscale Monterey and Carmel accomodations--, Clocktower Inn (69$+, outdoor jaccuzi) in Ventura, or any Motel 6 in that area.

Here's a post about unexpensive lodging in L.A. and Las Vegas and a few other tips. During weekdays you'll find great rooms for incredibly low prices in Las Vegas. It's probably one of the least expensive city throughout the US in that regard, but the rates tend to go up more than a bit on weekends.

Happy planning!
    Gen
    Last edited by Quebec Gen; 04-16-2006 at 06:56 PM.