This is a great forum! I've enjoyed reading all the posts, especially the field trip reports! Thanks so much for the great info! My husband and I and our boys (ages 7 and 2 1/2) are taking a 5 day spring break (mar 11-15) road trip. I'm a bit apprehensive, but you all have inspired me to go for it.
We're planning to leave Dallas going west, and my goal is to make small stops that will be interesting and fun for the boys. They travel well, but they're obviously young and we need to keep them interested. I'd like to make a stop every couple of hours for the first two days, spend the third day at a final destination and then take a different route back to Dallas for the final two days, making stops similar to the first two days. I've identified some stops that sound fun and I'm leaning toward going southwest toward Big Bend, rather than northwest toward Amarillo.
My problems are:
1. How far should I realistically plan to get each day?
2. Along those same lines, I'm not sure what our final destination should be and if 2 days is enough time to get out of Texas (maybe New Mexico?).
3. Are Carlsbad Caverns appropriate for our little boys?
4. Are there enough interesting stops in Big Bend to keep the little ones entertained? (Scenery only goes so far when you're young.)
5. Am I crazy to think this is going to be fun?????
Any and all tips are appreciated!