Thread: Very off-topic

1. Default Very off-topic

Okay...I'm an aspiring cross-country tripper. This summer, I plan to drive with my friends as far as we can across the country while sightseeing and taking in the local custums and whatnot. But okay...have any of you guys read "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac? It really puts you in a driving mood.

Default "Road Fever" would be my choice

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer112
    But okay...have any of you guys read "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac? It really puts you in a driving mood.
    You really ought to check out Tim Cahill's "Road Fever" -- much closer to the feel of roadtrips I prefer! --

Mark

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default My 2 cents

But okay...have any of you guys read "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac? It really puts you in a driving mood.
    My choice among Kerouac's books would be Visions of Cody which gives an interesting insight on the relationships between the characters and the road in a more abstract and intellectual way. It has no structure whatsoever but it is like a long jazz riff : improvised, funky, weird, back into structure and out again... That's kind of how I enjoy road tripping, ahem but without the drugs...:-)

But yes, I do love On the Road, I've read it at least 12 times and I do think that this book is totally under appreciated. The reader has to go beyond the easy stuff (i.e. parties, drugs, sex) and scratch beneath the surface. Think about the period, feel the rythm, the punctuation, read between the lines. It's definitely not just about cars and road trips!

I highly recommend to anyone interested in the Beat generation to read the epistolary relations between the authors, especially between Kerouac, Cassady and Ginsberg. I learned so many things and suprising facts by reading their collected letters, I will never see the Beatniks the same way again.

Gen

Default Too Deep for me

Quote Originally Posted by Gen
    Think about the period, feel the rythm, the punctuation, read between the lines.
    I don't know, you are obviously smarter than I, or I must be too square to "get" off the beaten path.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-25-2006 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added for emphasis

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default A matter of interpretation

I don't know, you are obviously smarter than I, or I must be too square to "get" off the beaten path.
    Hum, I can hardly believe that:o) First, I don't think any perception of a book is good, bad or ridiculous, it depends on a lot of factors : personal interests, what books you've read before, personality, etc... I am not criticizing the way people perceive the book, each one has the right to see what they want in a book -- and who am I to impose my own view to others anyway? My own personal interpretation of On the Road is rather mine and mine alone because of all the other stuff I've read in the past, my young age and my background. However, I do like to speak up about my observations just to give some clues and titillate the reader's curiosity.:-) I love to discuss not to debate and, in that matter, I truly can't state that one's opinion is valueless. Same thing with Law which I happened to study. It's all a matter of interpretation, if it wasn't we wouldn't have trials.

I am an avid and curious reader and I am an incorrigible disciple of re-reading. I just think some books were made to be put in relation to others and not necessarily all by the same author. I love the book not just for what it says, I love the texture of the paper, the way it's divided, the place where the author puts his adjectives in his sentences, the rank held by one book among the others by the same writer, the way I can link a book to another one by a totally different author, etc. And I do believe in the very clichéed theory that a book can have several significances depending on when in your life you read it and re-read it.

Hopefully, we will get at least one or two people on the forum to read or re-read Road Fever and On the Road!:-)

Gen