travel_monkeys Guest

Default California wildflower watching

I don't know if anybody out there is planning to go wildflower watching this spring in California. I'll say here what I just said to a friend of mine in Los Angeles. This spring head to the northern Sierras or north of SF (Marin, Napa, Sonoma, etc). I live in San Luis Obispo on the central coast and if we get our usual rush of spring weekend warriors they're going to be disappointed this year. It's been really dry all winter and we're not getting our usual late winter blooms. And the hills are dull gray-green instead of their usual winter lush green.
    The drought has been all of southern Cal., so wildflower watchers in the desert (Death Valley, Joshua Tree) are in for a weak spring as well. Better off heading north this year.
    I was just warning a friend about this so I figured I'd throw it in here.

Default Timing is everything

Quote Originally Posted by travel_monkeys
    his spring head to the northern Sierras or north of SF (Marin, Napa, Sonoma, etc). I live in San Luis Obispo on the central coast and if we get our usual rush of spring weekend warriors they're going to be disappointed this year. It's been really dry all winter and we're not getting our usual late winter blooms.
    I think you are correct. I was out at Nelson yesterday (near Las Vegas) and about the only thing in bloom is brittle bush -- quite a marked contrast from last year's extravaganza in the desert! Here is one of the sites we monitor for current wildflower locations in California.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-20-2006 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Added a link

travel_monkeys Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    I think you are correct. I was out at Nelson yesterday (near Las Vegas) and about the only thing in bloom is brittle bush -- quite a marked contrast from [URL="http://www.roadtripamerica.com/GettingOutThere/Wildflower-Road-Trips.htm"]last year's extravaganza in the desert
    Yeah, last year we had above average rainfall in the winter which usually means good wildflowers in spring. This year has been dry to the extreme. Most people around here seem to prefer the sunshine but here's to hoping we get more rain next yr. Nothin' like the green hills of the central coast from Jan-Mar.

Default Nothin' like the green hills of the central coast

Quote Originally Posted by travel_monkeys
    Yeah, last year we had above average rainfall in the winter which usually means good wildflowers in spring. This year has been dry to the extreme.
    I have always loved seeing those lush and vivid green hills of the central coast in the Spring. Of course, the straw-colored grasses framing the California Live Oaks in the summer is pretty special too. Odd year for weather, astounding amounts of rain along the northern California coast, record floods in Reno and dry in SLO. Very odd.

Mark