• Greers Ferry Lake - Heber Springs, Arkansas

Roadtrip Attraction
      Formed by the construction of Greers Ferry Dam, Greers Ferry Lake is 40,000 acres of scenic waterway. The lake and the surrounding terrain offer abundant fishing, boating, hunting, hiking, swimming, skiing, tubing and even scuba diving. Nearby Sugarloaf Mountain has a strenuous hiking trail that provides excellent nature viewing and a panoramic view of the lake and landscape.

Photo by Dennis Goza

If you go:
      Every July the lake is the site of a cardboard boat regatta that draws attendees form all over the world. If you want to avoid crowds and heavy traffic, however, stick to weekdays and avoid such special events. Historical footnote: the newly constructed dam was dedicated in 1963 by President John F. Kennedy, and was his last public appearance before his fateful trip to Dallas.

700 Heber Springs Road
      Heber Springs, Arkansas 72543 USA

Mailing address:
      Greers Ferry Project
      P.O. Box 1088
      Heber Springs, AR 72543 USA

Phone Numbers:

Greers Ferry Project, Army Corps of Engineers
      +1 (501) 362-2416

Ark. Parks and Tourism
      +1 (501) 362-9067

Comments 4 Comments
        Mark Sedenquist -
        Who is modeling the water boarding technique? Mark
        Mark Sedenquist -
        I would love to get some photos from the cardboard boat regatta!
        DonnaR57 -
        Mark, I'm logged on and can't reach this particular article. I got a notice that says you can't reach this page without logging in.

Dennis Goza -
        Sorry I didn't notice your question earlier, Mark. The daring young man on the inflatable is my nephew, whose name is also Mark. I only wish I'd captured the backward dive he did off it while in motion! I rode the tube myself, but I stayed on my belly the whole time.