• CSS Hunley - North Charleston, South Carolina

Roadtrip Attraction
      The first submarine ever to sink a ship in battle, the Confederate sub H. L. Hunley mysteriously disappeared with its crew of 8 immediately after its successful 1864 mission. Discovered on the ocean floor in 1995 and raised in 2000, the wrecked vessel is now housed at the Warren Lasch Conservation Center, where scientists study and preserve the vessel and its artifacts. And the public is invited to get a glimpse of the Hunley in its conservation tank, and learn more about its history and the conservation work.

If you go:
      The Hunley viewing tours are conducted only on weekends, and last for 20 minutes. The lobby has other interesting and informative exhibits, which visitors may photograph. No photography is allowed in the room where the Hunley is kept. Tickets are $12 per adults.

1250 Supply St.
      Bldg. 255
      North Charleston, South Carolina 29405 USA

Mailing address:
      1250 Supply St.
      Bldg. 255
      North Charleston, SC 29405 USA

Phone Numbers:

Tickets -- Toll Free
      +1 (877) 448-6539

Office and Information
      +1 (843) 743-4865

Comments 2 Comments
        Mark Sedenquist -
        What is the reason that the tours are restricted to 20 minutes?
        Dennis Goza -
        I'm not sure; I guess they figure 20 minutes is an adequate time, and they want to restrict the amount of time outsiders spend in there. As you can imagine, they take very strict measures to protect this delicate artifact. As I recall, the main reason for not allowing photography is that they're afraid people will drop their cameras in the tank. By the way, there's an excellent replica of the Hunley in front of the Charleston Museum, downtown.