PDA

View Full Version : California to Florida

amukia
06-14-2005, 10:13 AM
I am taking my family of 5 to florida for a summer vacation, like the Grizzwalls, only to Disneyworld instead. We are driving and want to know any back roads that might be quicker. I know the I-10 is the easiest, but we're gonna put ourselves out there and are willing to take side roads if they can get us there quicker.
Anyone and everyone is welcome to chime in. We have three weeks til launch off so please, HELP!!
I will be keeping all receipts and taking good notes so we can report when we get back. It will be pretty much a stop for hotels and food only kinda run. Hope to hear from you all soon.

Robert Schaller
06-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Sounds like what you want is speed -- in that case I-10 is the best choice. Even when you can save distance by taking federal highways, they almost never save time over an available and direct interstate route, because of the higher average speeds possible on the interstate. Bob

Utahtea
06-14-2005, 10:38 AM
I can't think of any side roads that will get you there quicker.

You say you leave in 3 weeks. How long are you taking for this trip? Are you starting from N. California or S. California? Do you need some ideas of things to see on the way there or on the way back? How old are your children?

Utahtea

amukia
06-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Speed is always a good thing.
THIS IS MY CRAZY IDEA.
I have my incredible wife (30), my bookworm boy (8), the fiesty one (5), and my little princess (2).
We have reservations with my time share near Kissimmee, FL. We live in SoCal. We want to get there in 2 1/2 days. So if we left on a Thursday, say 0400, we want to get to FL on Saturday 1600 or so with two overnight stops. We will be there for one week.
The trip back will be different, we will stop and see my brother in Fort Worth and we will probably take a full 4 days.
We have movies to see and a playstation2 and a portable potty (emergency use only, though I think we will have a lot of those).

All right, if there are a couple things that we can stop by and see in a few minutes or less than an hour, I will stop the train, drop the anchor, defuse the chargers and disenbark, unload and exit our vessel. So places of interest are an option.

Thanks for your comments thus far and please keep them coming.

Robert Schaller
06-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Please do not attempt to do this in 3 driving days with a wife and three kids in the car. From LA, it's a shade under 2600 miles to Kissimmee -- and from 42 to 50 hours of driving. You're talking 13 -16 hour days in the car. If you were by yourself, I'd say give it a try, but you are going to make your family miserable just TRYING to do this. Just my opinion. Bob

AZBuck
06-14-2005, 02:52 PM
I consider myself an iron-bottomed driver, but my personal best is just over a thousand miles in 26 hours of continuous solo driving. You are proposing to do that, do it again without a break, and then do half of it yet again, all while trying to keep three young children motionless and entertained. There will be no time for overnight stops if you truly plan to get from SoCal at 0400 Thursday to Kissimmee at 1600 Saturday. I believe your chances of pulling this off are, as they say, slim to none. Even a "full 4 days" is precious little to try this and still maintain family harmony. Please reconsider.

AZBuck

amukia
06-14-2005, 03:57 PM
C'mon, you guys are supposed to be supporting me!!!!

Mark Sedenquist
06-14-2005, 04:19 PM
C'mon, you guys are supposed to be supporting me!!!!Hey we know of what we speak. Speed is rarely enjoyed by more than one person (a solo driver) at a time. I add my voice to the chorus -- this is a unwise idea!

Mark

Robert Schaller
06-14-2005, 05:05 PM
We are, buddy, we are! This would be a nightmare. Given your circumstances, this would be a tough journey even planned over FIVE days. Bob

amukia
06-14-2005, 08:15 PM
OK, you have swayed me!!!
I will submit to an extra full day of driving, so we will leave on Wednesday about 0600 and plan to arrive on Saturday about 1600!!!.
AAA trip tik and mapuest as well as my GPS say it's 38 hours, 2,400 miles. @ 60 MPH it is 40 hours of driving. So, 3 full days at 12 hours on the road every day leaves me only 4 hours on the last day. According to a past forum, 55 to 60 MPH is the average.
So, does this make sense to everyone?

I am curious, anyone with a family of my size done this kind of crazy, adventurous,stupid thing? I am curious about how many stops and rest you had to take?
We have a large SUV and am wondering, doesn't this help stay on the road longer?

Anyhow, I really do appreciate everyones comments and concerns and suggestions, please know I have tuff skin and can take a good knock over the head if that's what I need, (Though I never really knew my father and did loose a favorite cat, oh and I lost my favorite whistle, but I'm OK).
Thanks guys and gals

Mark Sedenquist
06-14-2005, 08:23 PM
I will submit to an extra full day of driving, so we will leave on Wednesday about 0600 and plan to arrive on Saturday about 1600!!!.
AAA trip tik and mapuest as well as my GPS say it's 38 hours, 2,400 miles. @ 60 MPH it is 40 hours of driving. So, 3 full days at 12 hours on the road every day leaves me only 4 hours on the last day. According to a past forum, 55 to 60 MPH is the average. I will buy you a tank of gas if you really can drive that far with three kids that fast. The only way you can average 60 mph over three days of driving is to drive at least 100 mph for significant periods of time. In fact, if I were a betting man... I would wager that you will not exceed an average speed of 51 mph on this trip. 12 hour days -- four full days.

I am curious, anyone with a family of my size done this kind of crazy, adventurous,stupid thing? I am curious about how many stops and rest you had to take? We have a large SUV and am wondering, doesn't this help stay on the road longer? Not really, the size of bladders is not materially affected by the size of SUV. I think you will be stopping at least once every two hours for an average 30-45 minutes per stop. But at least you are getting closer to roadtrip reality...

PNW Judy
06-14-2005, 11:41 PM
I think it's do-able but only if you're willing to put in earplugs and ignore the whines of energetic kids who are sick of sitting and the family disharmony that you'll probably have the first day or so of DisneyWorld. In other words, even over 4 days, I agree with everyone else that this is too intensive of a trip for kids. Heck, most adults would go bonkers doing this.

I've driven the types of miles you're planning on doing for 2-3 days at a stretch but it has exhausted me. Maybe your younger? More energetic? I don't know....I just know that I have usually only done this on the trip home and when I know I'll have at least a day to recuperate before returning to work. No way could I have handled the fun of DW after doing it. DW is exhausting in and of itself, you know. Especially with 3 kids, at 3 different ages, with probably 3 different levels of interest and energy themselves....OY VEY!!

Is it possible that flying might actually be cost-effective? I know, strange advice for a roadtrip forum. But you'll still have to sleep, eat, and gas up that large SUV. By the time you add it all up, you might not be saving much over flying, if anything at all. It looks like the cheapest roundtrip fares are around $250 each from LA to Orlando. I think that would be $1500 well-spent!

UGAphin
06-15-2005, 12:17 AM
With a family of four, 12 hours is going to turn into 14 hours. At least. Youre going to go insane if you don't figure something else out. I know I'm wearing the train thing out, but..... you might want to look at Amtrak. It gives you the same sense of accomplishment as driving, but with more room for the kids, and plus youre not driving and you are moving at night. Plus, trains are awesome.

I just looked at some train info. The problem is that for a round trip train ride from LAX to ORL, with two rooms booked each way, the total is about $3000. That covers your transportation, food and drinks for six days, and accomidations. While this train trip would be a dream come true for me, maybe you'd be better off flying. Or maybe you can just take the train one way. Or, you can always drive! Good luck, whatever you decide.

Mark Sedenquist
06-15-2005, 09:40 AM
Speed is always a good thing.
Well, you have heard from the roadtripping brethren and I don't think it was what you hoped to hear. You are experiencing the "thud" between expectation and reality and it affects everyone of us -- even the pros (like me, who roadtrip for a living) we all think we can do more than is reasonably possible on roadtrips. So, may I make a suggestion?

Traveling across the country with your family is going to be labor-intensive and it WILL take more time than you have anticipated. So, make it pro-active -- realize that you are going to be stopping every couple of hundred miles and embrace it. Make it part of the planned experience of your roadtrip. The best part of the vacation is going to be showing your kids America -- Disneyworld and the timeshare will be fun -- but it is only Disneyworld. You are about to embark on an adventure of epic proportions.

And, maybe consider the experienced advice of RTA contributors Judy and UGAphin about trains and planes -- personally I would still do the drive -- but only if I could arrange enough time to make it make sense. Professional drivers rarely do that distance in less than five days (legally they can not drive more than 10 hours per day and all of them have easier driving conditions -- no family aboard -- than you are going to have).

Slow down, become an "Accidental Speedster" (that is take it when it happens -- but don't expect it to happen every day) and enjoy the ride!

Mark

amukia
06-15-2005, 10:25 AM
OK, I get it, but boy am I a stubborn mule!!!!!
I really do appreciate everyone's comments and advice and they have made me look at different angles and ideas. Bottom line is we are on a budget.

Train - I would love to go on a train and when the money is right, we will take a train ride. It's about 3K more than driving with car rental and everything else.
Plane - Momma won't have it, it's still about 1-1.5k more expensive.

Pirmarily - we love family time, the but whys and how comes are ok with us. This is a family vacation so we will be in each other faces for at least two weeks. Unfortuntely it's not a let's see America type trip, that is another trip all on it's own that we WILL do.
Second - the @&#*%*&!^#%@$!^ money situation.

My wife and I agreed, we will leave Wednesday 1200 noon and hope to get there as soon as we can. We will drive as much as we can for as long as we can and hope to get there On Saturday around 1200 noon.

Be sure that we will report, and if we do make it on time, someone owes me some gas!!!!! Thanks guys and gals

Mark Sedenquist
06-15-2005, 10:30 AM
OK, I get it, but boy am I a stubborn mule!!!!!
I really do appreciate everyone's comments and advice and they have made me look at different angles and ideas. Bottom line is we are on a budget. Have you ever met anyone NOT on a budget?

OK. Looking forward to the field report. One more thing to read -- Chris Epting's take on Family RoadTrips (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/OnTheRoad/On-the-Road-with-Chris-Epting.htm)

UGAphin
06-15-2005, 11:24 AM
That is probably the best plan, to just see how fast you can get there. Don't set deadlines. That could get you in trouble. Just drive until you can't drive anymore, or until you need to get away from your kids =)

PNW Judy
06-15-2005, 11:38 AM
plane - Momma won't have it, it's still about 1-1.5k more expensive.
I can't help but be curious why "Momma won't have it". Planes are infinitely safer than driving.

And I don't get the 1-1.5k more expensive issue. I found fares as low as $230 per person round trip. That's only $1,150 for a family of 5. The highest fares if I chose various specific date was $300 per person, that's still only $1.5 total.

Your trip is over 5,000 miles roundtrip. In a large SUV, I'm guessing you get maybe 18mpg? Maybe less? Anyway, if you figure this at 18mpg with gas costing an average of $2.50 per gallon, your fuel costs alone will be about $700. That's with NO extra driving off-route so your true costs will definitely be higher. Add in a hotel or 2, and a few meals at restaurants and your costs will definitely exceed $1,150 and maybe even the $1.5k.

(Editor: To get an idea about the range of accurate fuel costs -- use our custom-built fuel cost calculator (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/roadtripamerica_cfmfiles/calculator.cfm).)

How much are you budgeting for your gas, meals, and lodging? Unless I'm seriously confused, I don't understand your analysis.

Pirmarily - we love family time, the but whys and how comes are ok with us. This is a family vacation so we will be in each other faces for at least two weeks. Unfortuntely it's not a let's see America type trip, that is another trip all on it's own that we WILL do.

OK, speaking as a mom and veteran of almost 20 years of roadtrips with kids, I think this is your idea of a good time, and your wife's maybe? but not the kiddies. Sorry to be so blunt. My fear is that this will be such a boring, marathon trip for the kids that they learn to hate roadtrips. Is that what you want?

We have done some marathon blitz drives with the kids when they were younger but for shorter miles/timeframes than you're planning. For example, several times we went to Disneyland from home (about 18 hours driving time) as straight shots, sharing driving duties and napping. But we would leave at like 5pm, drive all night when the kids were sleeping, so they might be awake a few hours in the evening, and then a few more hours in the morning but asleep most of the trip. Even then they were squirmy, fidgety, and needed to run around like heck, play in the hotel pool, etc. before they would have been calmed down enough to handle the lines in Disneyland.

The most fun vacations we've had with our kids during roadtrips have been those types where you have no destination, no itinerary, and have the time to simply stop at anything the kids found interesting, a few things we adults found interesting, and geared the trip to our kid's energy levels and interests as much as possible. This is not to say that we also didn't drag them through a few museums and other such stuff that bored them a bit. We do believe in exposing them to things. However, we always balanced that with something that they enjoyed doing. Like letting them play in the park they spotted on the way to the museum for awhile after the museum visit. And I can't tell you how many playgrounds/parks we've stopped at over the years that we would never have stopped at without kids. Even today, as young adults, some of my kid's favorite memories are of a certain slide at some obscure school playground in some little town along the way that we don't even remember the name of. I really think, for the kids, these are the stuff of which good memories are made.

Both of my kids love roadtrips because we did this type of traveling, for the most part, with them. I can also tell you stories of taking friends of theirs on short roadtrips with us. The friends said they hated roadtrips with their own families because they couldn't stop and do things, they had to stay "on schedule", and they usually ended up arguing and fighting with each other because everyone was tired and stressed. These friends always found our slow, meandering style much more fun.

Second - the @&#*%*&!^#%@$!^ money situation.
Well, unless my analysis is way off-base, and your SUV runs on air, I still think you'll find it cheaper to fly.

I want to emphasize that I sincerely hope that you prove me wrong. That you prove all of us wrong. And that this turns out to be a fantastic trip for you and the rest of your family. I'll be curious to read your trip report upon your return.

amukia
06-15-2005, 05:18 PM
OK, the plane thing,
380+tax X 5 = 2000,,,,,,that's just for the tickets, I still need a rental for a week which is about 600 for 7 days. That puts me at 2500.
Driving, I figure about 1,000 on gas. 75 hotel x 6 total = 450, food is about 450. That's a total of 1900
The difference is about 500 less to drive. But driving has a whole different value that we can understand.
If plane tickets were 300 or less I would fly and rent a car.
I really do like working all these numbers and calculations. Thanks for all your input guys and gals.

Utahtea
06-15-2005, 09:57 PM
Professional drivers rarely do that distance in less than five days (legally they can not drive more than 10 hours per day and all of them have easier driving conditions -- no family aboard -- than you are going to have).

And the reason for limiting the hours would be for everyone's saftey! I'm so glad that you have expanded the number of driving days. Keep in mind you want to reach your destination and not kill anyone in the process. Driving when fatigued could be deadly!

Driving while fatigued (http://ezinearticles.com/?Driving-While-Fatigued&id=28217)

Utahtea

Mark Sedenquist
06-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Driving when fatigued could be deadly! We have a few resources that might be of use to you on this caper. First, links for tools for keeping awake. (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/links/drivingtips.htm) Next one of Uncle Bob's Rules: Start Rested, Stay Refreshed (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/DefensiveDriving/Rule45.htm) and finally, you might consider skimming all of the rules -- a tremendous layer of skill & concept (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/DefensiveDriving/Drive-Safe-With-Uncle-Bob.htm) can be found therein.

Mark

PNW Judy
06-15-2005, 11:32 PM
OK, the plane thing,
380+tax X 5 = 2000,,,,,,that's just for the tickets, I still need a rental for a week which is about 600 for 7 days. That puts me at 2500.
Driving, I figure about 1,000 on gas. 75 hotel x 6 total = 450, food is about 450. That's a total of 1900
The difference is about 500 less to drive. But driving has a whole different value that we can understand.
If plane tickets were 300 or less I would fly and rent a car.
I really do like working all these numbers and calculations. Thanks for all your input guys and gals.

Ahhhh, I had not thought of a rental car. When I went to WDW we stayed on-site and used cheap cabs to get to Universal and SeaWorld. I forgot you were going to a timeshare.

amukia
06-16-2005, 02:34 PM
WOW!!! that was close!!!!
I received a notice from expedia that tickets were 220 each, roundtrip. Turned out it was one of those fishing e-mails, they tried to get me by saying they were out, but they had another offer if I wnated it.
That would have meant all this help could have been for nothing!!!

We even thought about flying there and driving back so we could enjoy the ride back, but then that's really expensive.

So, as they say, "My momma didn't raise no fool," I am using everyone's advice and am going to add another full day of driving. Itinerary is leave Wednesday morning, drive as far as I can everyday, or until the kids start to have a hard time. That's three and 1/2 days of driving, 12 hours on the road per day = 42 hours. This should be more fun than originally planned.
Thanks again everyone. I did read the articles everyone sent thanks for that as well.

Mark Sedenquist
06-16-2005, 03:20 PM
That's three and 1/2 days of driving, 12 hours on the road per day = 42 hours. This should be more fun than originally planned. You will still be somewhat pooped when you reach Florida, but the latest plan is at least reasonable.

Have fun.

Mark

Quebec Gen
06-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Amukia,

are your kids used to long roadtrips? If not, maybe it would help to make shorter road trips during the weekends before you leave. I made my first long trip when I was one year and a half. I'm personally a road kid, my parents used to bring me for 32 hours straight rides when I was young but before we reached Florida (I'm from Quebec), we hit Maine, VA, NC and other closer places so I was kind of up to it. Be sure to have plenty of noiseless toys, books and snacks to keep them occupied if you don't want to hear to many "are we there yet".

Make them involved in the preparation of the trip, give them maps so they can see where you're at and where you're going. Tell them about ghost towns, legends and history of the towns you go through(for short stories about towns, just look in AAA guidebooks) , play car plates trivia, try to make the road look like a game, not like a chore. Maybe they'll get really excited and they won't want to sleep at all for the whole trip (like me) or, if you're lucky, they'll, be able to sleep in the car. The first scenario is more likely ot happen though so prepare yourselves mentally, because the more tured they will get, the more uncomfortable they will be and you're more likely to hear them complain or fight with each other. Play shotgun, make sure they each have the chance to be the co-pilot and to choose the music.

I agree with the other posters, I think 2-3 days is way too short. I drove from AZ to Miami, FL on I-10 and I-95 in 4 days and I didn't spend much time anywhere. We don't want to discourage you of doing this trip it's just a matter of safety for you and your family. And frankly, what would you prefer, having to spend an extra 30 bucks on your budget for a motel room to get some rest or having to buy a new car because you fell asleep and hit a telephone post? We're an overprotective community, like a mother to a child, we don't want our members to fall from the nest, we want them to stay alive and to drive safe.

Have a great trip and drive carefully!:-)
Gen

Mark Sedenquist
06-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Play shotgun, make sure they each have the chance to be the co-pilot and to choose the music. Sorry, but non-adult humanoids should not sit in the front seat. Uncle Bob knows of what he writes and his advice on this very subject can be read here. (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/DefensiveDriving/Rule67.htm)..

Mark

amukia
06-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Ok guys, I really do appreciate all your experience, you guys are definitely the "NERDS OF THE ROAD" for lack of a better term, (hope that didn't offend anyone).
Gen, if I let the kids ride in the front, Uncle Bob would see to it I never visit this forum. But I do catch your drift and will let them play shotgun by letting me know what town is next or like you said, choose music etc,,etc,,.
Well, I was getting worried that the price of plane tickets were almost affordable. I would much rather drive, but if the money is better, what can I do. So as of now,
WE DRIVE!!!!!
My next post will be in about a month with a full and detailed report THANKS GUYS!!!!!

Robert Schaller
06-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Have a great trip -- you're a good sport! Bob

Quebec Gen
06-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Sorry, but non-adult humanoids should not sit in the front seat. Uncle Bob knows of what he writes and his advice on this very subject can be read here. (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/DefensiveDriving/Rule67.htm)..

See?? I wouldn't even be a good Mom, I never read that rule...I knew it wasn't a great idea for babies but...And I thought I was overprotective!:o)lol

We'll be looking forward to your field report Amukia, let us know how your kids enjoyed the trip!

Gen

Mark Sedenquist
06-19-2005, 10:08 AM
I am taking my family of 5 to Disneyworld I forgot to mention two books you ought to pick-up and carry with you on this adventure. Louis Mongello's book about WDW (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/read/Walt-Disney-World-Trivia-Book.htm) is very entertaining and it will enable you to find places and events inside the park that very few casual visitors ever learn about. And Bob Mervine's Orlando Chow (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/read/Orlando-Chow.htm) could be a lifesaver for your budget.

We are certainly interested in hearing what amazing things you discover on this journey!

Mark

amukia
06-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the book ideas. I think we will pick up both of those. Maybe we'll pop out with the WDW book about half ways through Texas since the kiddies don't know where we are going yet. Thanks.

PNW Judy
06-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the book ideas. I think we will pick up both of those. Maybe we'll pop out with the WDW book about half ways through Texas since the kiddies don't know where we are going yet. Thanks.

So it's a surprise to them? Very cool. Here's one of my favorite memories with my kids: My husband used to travel a lot for work. When they were 5 and 7 we decided they were old enough to enjoy Disneyland. But I didn't want weeks of "when are we leaving?" stuff to deal with. We decided to surprise them by pretending we were taking Daddy to the airport to leave on a business trip and the reason why we were packing their bags was that we were going to go stay with my sister while he was gone for a visit.

My kids were oblivious to the fact that we brought their luggage from the car into the airport. Didn't even question it.

So, we're in the boarding area and they start boarding. My husband says to them "Oh, heck, I don't want to go off and work. I'd rather go to Disneyland. So, let's just go there instead." At first, the kids just looked at him funny so he said "We're going to Disneyland." They continued to look at him with confusion. So he said "OK, listen to me, we're all getting on that plane right now and we're going to Disneyland."

They both squealed, jumped up and down, starting running circles around the room laughing and giggling, shouting "We're going to Disneyland!!" to everybody in the boarding area. People there laughed and some of them even clapped. It was hysterical.

My kids walked onto that plane with the biggest grins I've ever seen on anybody before or sense. They were beaming.

This was the best surprise I ever pulled off. Personally, if I were you, I'd hide the book and just plain pull up at the WDW entrance and have them find out that way. However you do it, I hope the surprise is as enjoyable and memorable as the one I pulled on my kids.

Enjoy!

Mark Sedenquist
06-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the book ideas. I think we will pick up both of those. Maybe we'll pop out with the WDW book about half ways through Texas since the kiddies don't know where we are going yet. Thanks. Although the surprise that Judy and her husband pulled off was memorable -- anticipation is a great motivator and as much fun as you have had getting ready for this roadtrip -- it would be my suggestion that you let your kids in on the secret early -- so they, too, can savor that most rare gift -- anticipation.

Mark

PNW Judy
06-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Although the surprise that Judy and her husband pulled off was memorable -- anticipation is a great motivator and as much fun as you have had getting ready for this roadtrip -- it would be my suggestion that you let your kids in on the secret early -- so they, too, can savor that most rare gift -- anticipation.

Mark

While there's a bit of truth in that, I think the incessant "are we there yets?" would make a surprise better in this case. Or wait until just the day before. Not several days. All, imho, of course.

Robert Schaller
06-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Either way, they're going to love it. I did the same thing to my daughter on her 12th birthday -- she had no clue where we were going until we got to the airport (I didn't tell her -- she figured it out). We both still treasure that day. Except I embarrassed her for life by wearing "mouse ears" home that evening (on the plane and everything). It's OK though -- the child (now almost 30) still loves me anyway.

amukia
06-20-2005, 04:13 PM
We haven't let the bag out yet, as far as where we are going, but I did tell them we were going on vacation in a month. So the "when do we leaves" are an everyday thing from my 5 year old.
The day we told them we were going on vacation there was some serious anticipation going on. My wife and were going to sleep when we heard some movement in their room. It was almost ten at night (8 is bedtime). We walked in and asked what was going on and my boy, was staring at the ceiling with a big smile on his face. He said " I'm too excited about the trip to go to sleep." SO the countdown has definitely begun and they are ansier by the day.

That was a great story Judy. I might still get them when we pull up to the gates.

PNW Judy
06-20-2005, 08:19 PM
We haven't let the bag out yet, as far as where we are going, but I did tell them we were going on vacation in a month. So the "when do we leaves" are an everyday thing from my 5 year old.
The day we told them we were going on vacation there was some serious anticipation going on. My wife and were going to sleep when we heard some movement in their room. It was almost ten at night (8 is bedtime). We walked in and asked what was going on and my boy, was staring at the ceiling with a big smile on his face. He said " I'm too excited about the trip to go to sleep." SO the countdown has definitely begun and they are ansier by the day.

That was a great story Judy. I might still get them when we pull up to the gates.

LOL....see, this is why we sprung it on 'em. If they find out they're going to WDW, I'm sure the excitement will increase exponentially and they'll never get any sleep just anticipating it.

Kids are so fun. However you do it, it's gonna be a fantastic memory.

TXgal
03-05-2007, 11:22 AM
I am taking my family of 5 to florida for a summer vacation, like the Grizzwalls, only to Disneyworld instead. We are driving and want to know any back roads that might be quicker. I know the I-10 is the easiest, but we're gonna put ourselves out there and are willing to take side roads if they can get us there quicker.
Anyone and everyone is welcome to chime in. We have three weeks til launch off so please, HELP!!
I will be keeping all receipts and taking good notes so we can report when we get back. It will be pretty much a stop for hotels and food only kinda run. Hope to hear from you all soon.

I have read this thread with great interest and would like to know if there are any UPDATES?? How did this trip go??? You can't just leave us all hanging!

;-)

amukia
11-24-2008, 10:43 AM
I just came across this old thread started my my husband and can't believe he didn't let you guys know how this trip went. Everyday he wrote down "stuff" about the crazy things that happened on this adventure. It was a great trip. I'll see if I can get him to post. Sorry about the LATE response.

lhuff
11-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Please tell us the tale. I love a good roadtrip story.