PDA

View Full Version : Minneapolis to Niagara Falls

wharris
03-21-2011, 10:41 AM
My sister and I would like to drive to Niagara Falls and wondering if it makes more sense to go north around Lake Michigan or South? Maybe go one way on the way out and the other on the way back. We are thinking of taking 5-6 days in hopes of enjoying the scenary and other natural attractions with 2 days in Niagara. We wanted to bring a tent or popup camper but it may be too cold to camp. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Midwest Michael
03-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm always a big fan of taking 2 different routes if you can, but you're a bit up against the clock.

Going over the top of Lake Michigan, and then back down through Michigan would probably be on the upper limit of how much ground you can cover in 2 days.

Your first day you'd be staying somewhere in the UP, perhaps as far as the Mackinaw area on the upper end. The great thing is that if you do camp, there are lots of options in this area, with many National Forest, State, and County Parks Sites available. From there, you'd be looking at a good 10 hour day to Niagara, going down I-75 to Flint, and then over across Ontario. So you'd get to see different scenery, but you wouldn't have much time to stop.

I'd suggest looking at going over the top of Lake Huron too, but I think that would take too much time.

Too cold to camp really depends upon your own level of comfort, and of course when you'll be traveling.

wharris
03-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks for your input. We are planning the first week in Oct.

Midwest Michael
03-21-2011, 12:07 PM
That's getting a little late for camping, but its possible if you get a warm weather weekend, or you have 3 season gear. I've camped in the UP in mid-september comfortably, but of course, by that time it is even possible to start seeing snow.

cwk
03-22-2011, 09:34 AM
October in the UP can be 70 degrees and sunny or it can be 32 degrees with freezing rain. If you plan on camping, better bring both warm weather and cold weather gear, along with rain gear. But if you're comfortable with that, then I say go for it. The UP is a terrific place to camp.