PDA

View Full Version : Road trip from Sioux Falls, SD to Colorado Springs, CO

skhanitha
12-02-2010, 11:49 AM
My family, including my husband, a 15 year-old girl, a 13 year-old boy, a friend and I, plan to take a road trip from Sioux Falls to Colorado Spring on December 18, 2010. I'd like to know regarding the road condition, which route to use (scenic drives), what places to stop by. It's going to be our first trip to sout-west. Thank you.

glc
12-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Welcome!

How many days can you allow for this trip? By fastest route, this is an 800 mile trip, and will take a day and a half of dedicated driving.

What type of scenery and what kind of places interest you?

AZBuck
12-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

This is one of those RoadTrips that screams out for a loop rather than taking the same route there and back. The two general routes (you can take either one in either direction) are:

Northern Route: I-90 west to the Black Hills (Rapid City and environs) visiting Wall Drug, Badlands National Park, Mount Rushmore National Monument, Crazy Horse Monument, Wind Cave National Park, and Jewel Cave National Monument. Then take US-85/I-25 south to Colorado Springs with possible side trips to Rocky Mountain National Park (Estes Park) and the sights of Denver. (820 miles)

Southern Route: I-29 south to Omaha then I-80/US-34/US-30 west along the Platte River. This is the route of the old Oregon Trail with a number of historic sites and landmarks such as Fort Kearney, the Pony Express Station in Gothenburg, Buffalo Bill's Ranch outside North Platte, and Chimney Rock, In western Nebraska take I-76 to Denver and I-25 down to Colorado Springs. (790 miles)

Either route is problematic in winter and will depend on the actual weather which you won't know until just a day or two before departure. But if you plan on 3-4 days for the drive one way, you'll have plenty of time to either see several sites or sit out any inclement weather while the road crews do their job.

AZBuck

skhanitha
12-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Thank you.
It is likely that I might take Southern Route because I have already visited Black Hills. I live in Sioux Falls. These holidays, I'd like to visit my relative who lives there. I am kind of worry about the weather around that time. My days are flexible however I am not sure
if it gonna worth for a round road trip.

Southwest Dave
12-03-2010, 03:31 AM
As Buck mentioned, there is no way of knowing what the weather will be until shortly before you leave, being flexible will sure help. Work out your preferred option as plan A, and have a plan B [possibly C] as back ups, then all you can do is wait and see I'm afraid.

Foy
12-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Hello skhanitha,

From Sioux Falls, you can proceed west on I-90 to Murdo, SD, then south on US 83 through the Rosebud Reservation to Valentine, NE, located in the Nebraska Sandhills. Continue on US 83 south to NE-2, turn west, and remain on the Sandhills Scenic Highway (NE-2) to Alliance. Then south on US 385 to Sidney, NE, location of the world headquarters for Cabela's ("World's Foremost Outfitter"), then continue south on NE 19, becoming CO 113 at the state line, keeping that to Sterling, CO where you pick up I-76 to Denver.

The Sandhills are hauntingly stark and beautiful. At Alliance is Carhenge, an oddball tourist attraction with old cars emplaced and arranged as a Stonehenge replica.

There are few services between Murdo, SD and Valentine, NE, and again few more from Valentine to Alliance.

Foy

skhanitha
12-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks to you all.