PDA

View Full Version : Traveling from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and Yosemite

Mary Ell
07-13-2010, 08:48 PM
My family and I are seriously considering a road trip from Las Vegas to the Grand canyon, Yellowstone and to Yosemite next summer. We will have to end the trip back in Vegas, as we will be flying back to New York. In addition, we are considering renting an RV.. thinking it may be more economical... We are shooting for that "unforgettable family experience". Kids will be ages 10, 13, 15. We will have 14 days from start to finish. Any suggestions regarding routes, sites to see, campground, suggestions for traveling via RV, etc. are very much appreciated. Once we get to some of these destinations will be limited to what we can do and see because we will only have an RV, not a compact vehicle?

Midwest Michael
07-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The first thing you should know is that RV travel is about lifestyle not about economics. Using an RV will almost always be significantly more expensive than using a car and staying in motels. There are plenty of positives about going in an RV, but economics aren't one of them.

I'd be a little concerned about fitting in both Yellowstone and Yosemite, as I think it may end up forcing you to rush a bit too much. You'd be looking at nearly 3000 miles of driving, which would take up 5-6 days of your trip. You may be better off looking at doing one or the other.

There are certainly lots of other things you can add no matter which way you go. Utah is filled with National Parks that you could explore, like Zion, Bryce, Arches, and Canyonlands just to name a few. In California, you've also got lots of options, like Death Valley, Sequoia, and the Pacific Coast Highway.

Southwest Dave
07-14-2010, 02:42 AM
we are considering renting an RV.. thinking it may be more economical... We are shooting for that "unforgettable family experience".

I agree with Michael, an RV is more about lifestyle than it is making economical sense and should be based upon that. If the lifestyle appeals it can certainly create an "unforgettable family experience" and as there are 5 of you and you want to visit National parks, [where lodgings can be more expensive] the difference in costs does narrow.

The National parks are great places to camp, set in the heart of natures best and reasonably priced plus most have a free and very efficient shuttle bus system to transport you around the park to trail heads and viewpoints etc. This is great if you spend a couple of nights as you can "set up camp" and have family time without having to drive.

We have never felt restricted as to where we can go but keep in mind that the RV's are pretty big and some mountain roads are challenging. As long as you take your time and be courteous to other drivers by using pull outs to let traffic past when necessary. If you scroll up to the top of the page you can find a whole section on RV travel, plus much more to help with travel plans.

I also agree with Michael with regards to how far you want to travel. The RV is a slow cumbersome beast and to do a little sight seeing and to keep the family from going "stir crazy" in the back you won't want to be covering much more than 300 miles in a day on a regular basis.

To get an idea of RV'ing in California and Vegas area you can take a look here. (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?15762-San-Francisco-Loop&p=55387)

Deborah Hall
08-15-2010, 01:06 PM
In the summer of 2009, we took a 37-day road trip out west with our 15-year-old daughter. One of the most unforgettable days for all of us was as Slide Rock Canyon (Slide Rock State Park), 5 minutes north of Sedona, AZ. That is approximately 2 hours south of the south rim of the Grand Canyon. If you can squeeze it in, your kids will be thrilled. I think the entrance fee was about $5/car and it's not only a fun place, but it's beautiful scenery.

Also, much of the driving out west involves some pretty serious climbs and steep drop offs. If you are not familiar with driving an RV, it could prove somewhat challenging.

Nonetheless, you are in for a real treat wherever you wind up. It's all stunning!