PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles to New Jersey....which route?

Neecerie
05-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Ok. This is my first post here, so I am quite sure it will be filled with all the boring things newbies ask....but I am hoping not.

I am relocating to NJ from Los Angeles for work purposes, so this is not a pleasure trip. I do actually have to make it there in a given time constraint.

I currently have 5 days (a 6th is possible) to get there, driving over the long 4th of July weekend. I know this is pushing it, but I have to be in my new office chair on the 6th. I currently have July 1 and 2 off and I can probably get June 30th as well.

I have a planned in stop (this would be one of the overnight resting points) at Dover Ohio (near Canton), which is pretty much between the I80 and the I70... I would then do the rest of the drive in one leg after that stop.

Google seems to think the best options (leaving the Dover trip out) are the up to vegas across on the 70 to the 76 to the 80....

or the 40 across to OK city and then upwards...

My concern with the Vegas 15 on a day/days when lots of people have off is a travel backup on that road..(if you know it..you just inch forward and its a living hell)...so if I went that route I would actually quite likely do a middle of the night start, to avoid vacationers.

I am a reasonably good long distance driver so the dividing it up into chunks is probably something I can manage myself, I just can't decide on the best highway route.

Thoughts?
is there anything in particular about either of these choices that make it more suitable for a summer cross country? Weather? Boringness....?

I am also wondering why straight across from Denver on the 70 until St Louis wasn't a google choice.

Southwest Dave
05-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Whichever route you choose it is going to be business like with Interstate travel and no real time for anything but short breaks and to fill with gas equal to 10 hours a day on the road. Google will only give the first 2 or 3 options but you can drop and drag the blue route line to experiment with options. I 40 is shown as the quickest route and I 70/80 and I70 to St Louis the same at an hour longer.

I am not sure if starting in the middle of the night is a good thing as your body clock could be out of wack right through the trip. Get an early start by all means, but get an early night and some sleep before heading out.

Have a safe journey.

glc
05-26-2010, 08:25 PM
It might help if you told us where in NJ you are going - it makes a difference. There are several major ways to enter NJ - I-80, I-78, PA Turnpike, I-76 through Philadelphia to the Walt Whitman Bridge, I-476 to US-322, or the I-95 Delaware Memorial Bridge. This will all make a difference which way would be best all the way across.

Neecerie
05-27-2010, 07:09 AM
It might help if you told us where in NJ you are going - it makes a difference. There are several major ways to enter NJ - I-80, I-78, PA Turnpike, I-76 through Philadelphia to the Walt Whitman Bridge, I-476 to US-322, or the I-95 Delaware Memorial Bridge. This will all make a difference which way would be best all the way across.

Darn, I knew I would leave something out!

I am going to New Providence, its along the I-78

And I do realise its a -job- to drive that far in that short a time, and will treat it as such, there is just no other option.

ps. I have put in for that other day off...so 6 days across....

AZBuck
05-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Excellent! That 6th day will make all the difference between having to push yourself to the max every single day and being able to relax a bit and enjoy the drive. East of St. Louis, your choice of routes is pretty clear, I-70 to Harrisburg, then I-81/I-78 to New Providence. West of St. Louis you still have a choice. You can either take I-40 to Oklahoma City and I-44 to St. Louis, or you can take I-15 up into Utah and I-70 from there to St. Louis. The difference on a trip this long is inconsequential. The one way I would NOT recommend going is I-76/I-80 east from Denver. That would have you going right through the heart of some of the heaviest traffic in the country, Chicago, Gary and Cleveland, on toll roads. So have a look at what's along your two choices between L.A. and St.L. and make your choice, then be sure to take some refreshing stops along the way.

AZBuck

glc
05-27-2010, 08:13 AM
I plotted out the fastest route with my software (Microsoft Streets & Trips) and came up with 2780 miles. This *CAN* be done in 5 days but would be a real grind. Fastest according to S&T is I-15/I-70/I-76/I-80/I-287/NJ-24/NJ-649. Tolls would be approximately $20. Overnights would be Richfield UT/Fort Morgan CO/Des Moines IA/Toledo OH.

If you feel that you could take I-15 as far as Barstow without major traffic jams, you could take I-40/I-44/I-70/I-71/I-76 to I-80. This would cut the tolls down to about $5 and it will only take about an hour longer. This would move the overnights to Holbrook AZ/Shamrock TX/Rolla MO/Columbus OH.

Now - if you take 6 days, you can completely avoid I-15 and do the following - take I-10 to CA-62 to 29 Palms. Take Amboy Rd north to Amboy and then old 66 to I-40. Dividing this up into about 5 1/2 days (to let you get to your destination earlier in the day) would give you overnights in Flagstaff AZ/Tucumcari NM/Joplin MO/Indianapolis IN/Brookville or Du Bois PA.

Neecerie
05-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Excellent! That 6th day will make all the difference between having to push yourself to the max every single day and being able to relax a bit and enjoy the drive. East of St. Louis, your choice of routes is pretty clear, I-70 to Harrisburg, then I-81/I-78 to New Providence. West of St. Louis you still have a choice. You can either take I-40 to Oklahoma City and I-44 to St. Louis, or you can take I-15 up into Utah and I-70 from there to St. Louis. The difference on a trip this long is inconsequential. The one way I would NOT recommend going is I-76/I-80 east from Denver. That would have you going right through the heart of some of the heaviest traffic in the country, Chicago, Gary and Cleveland, on toll roads. So have a look at what's along your two choices between L.A. and St.L. and make your choice, then be sure to take some refreshing stops along the way.

AZBuck

Perfect....This helps me a lot!

Since I have a stop for Dover OH planned..(who turns down free lodging and a chance to see a friend!)...the I-40 to the I-44 to the I-70 would seem to be the best plan, getting me the closest to Dover without the horrible traffic you mentioned, thus making it less out of the way then if I did something that would take me to Toledo.

The only question I have is...weather, is this still tornado season along most of that route? I admit to being a Californian and thus a know-nothing about this stuff.....

Please note I do have an iphone, and will have my macbook with me, but this is no substitute for just avoiding problems in the first place ;)

Midwest Michael
05-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Well, Tornados can happen at any time of year (I've seen them in January), but the summer is the peak season. However, you could see a Tornado anywhere from Ohio to New Mexico. It doesn't hurt to look at the forecasts and avoid areas where Thunderstorms are predicted (for a number of reasons beyond just tornados), but even through the heart of Tornado Alley, in the middle of Tornado season, the odds of an actual tornado affecting your trip are extremely low.

In other words, avoiding an area because of the chance of tornados would be a lot like avoiding california because of the chance of earthquakes.

Neecerie
05-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Oh no..I get that....I was just wondering if there was anything else I needed to know.....knowledge is power and all that...

glc
05-27-2010, 05:14 PM
If you follow my last suggestion - Dover could be your next overnight after Indianapolis, you would get in fairly early (5 hours from Indy) so you could spend some time with your friend, and you can make it to NJ in one day from there, it's less than 500 miles, about 8 hours or so plus stops.

Neecerie
05-28-2010, 02:31 PM
ooh good point.

I will try and sort out details as this gets closer and as i finish packing up all my stuff . (not hauling it...sending it all separately thank goodness)