PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver > Banff > Yellowstone ?

Bulevardi
03-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Hi,

I'm planning a road trip for next year and need some help!
It's not a round/return trip, just from A to B.
Max 1700 miles (2800 km).

I thought:
(flight from home to seattle)
- seattle
- vancouver
- kamloops, jasper, banff
- calgary
- glacier national park
- yellowstone national park
- grand teton national park
- jackson
(flight from jackson back home)

I can combine all these in a nice trip.

2 citytrips after each other are maybe too busy or exhausting. Certainly in the beginning of the trip.
Maybe I skip seattle and add some days for another national park?

Maybe I should do another route? From Seattle via Mt raineer national park, to yellowstone?
- via Baker City, Boise, Twin Falls, ...
or via - Spokane, Missoula,...

And than from Yellowstone upwards to Banff,...
I should ride via Missoula, Bigfork and Kalispell or via Great Falls, Shelby and Browning?

Are there any roadtrip books for that specific region?

Thanks !
Dirk

AZBuck
03-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Any of the possible routes you mention would make a wonderful RoadTrip, so the real question is: Which appeals most to you? Assuming that the first one you described is your preference and that you have sufficient time to make it comfortably, one addition/change that you might look at to address your concern about too much urban travel at the beginning would be to initially head west from Seattle, taking a ferry to, say, Bremerton, and exploring the Olympic Peninsula. You could then take another ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria for a more modest sized and (in my opinion) more visitor friendly city. Only then take yet a third ferry over to Tsawwassen and begin the Canadian portion of your trip. As for tour books specific to that region, I think you'll have a problem finding a single such book covering the area you're interested in and should be looking instead for two or three such books covering the Pacific Northwest and Northern Rockies.

AZBuck

glc
03-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Make sure that you can rent a car in Seattle with Canadian privileges that can be dropped off in Jackson. Expect a hefty one-way dropoff fee.

Bulevardi
05-23-2010, 07:34 AM
I changed plans :)

I made 2 google maps to show how I changed it:
From Banff to Jackson: click here (http://maps.google.be/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&num=200&msa=0&msid=110231098631020014722.0004873f356337bbeb5c5&z=6).
From Reno to San Fran: click here (http://maps.google.be/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&num=200&msa=0&msid=110231098631020014722.0004873f385fcf48cbfd6&z=8).

Can someone give tips in those regions ? What would I miss in those regions if I just stay on track?