PDA

View Full Version : Roadtrip from Toronto to Dallas with Two dogs, wife and a 8 month Baby

zque
03-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Hi Everybody

We guys are planning a road trip from Toronto to Dallas and were wondering if you can help us with the best route to Dallas This is going to be our first ever road trip and I am confused as to which route I should take.

Thank you

glc
03-03-2010, 12:59 PM
How long do you have to make the trip, are you just wanting to get there along the shortest route, do you want to sightsee on the way, and what are your interests?

The fastest route is a full 3 days of driving, and takes you via Chicago and Memphis. There are several good ways of doing it.

zque
03-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks Glc

I am looking for the shortest route. I have total of 2 weeks for this trip.

Would love to do sight seeing but with the baby in the car i just want to get thier asap :)

Thanks again

Midwest Michael
03-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are a good handful of routes that are all within about 50 miles of each other, and really, depending on traffic/construction/accidents any one of them could be faster or slower on any given day.

The shortest option looks to be to head over to Sarnia/Detroit (pick your favorite border crossing, I've never found a huge difference in travel time), then down I-75/I-71/I-65 through Cincinnati and Louisville to Nashville, then over on I-40/I-30 through Memphis and Little Rock.

Some of the variations with very similar distances include going through Indianapolis to Memphis, Chicago to Memphis, or even Chicago/St. Louis/Tulsa.

All of those routes are just under 1500 miles, and as was said before, you're looking at 3 days on the road each way.

glc
03-03-2010, 03:43 PM
I just ran it through my mapping program, and this is the FASTEST route:

401 to London
402 to Sarnia
I-69 to Battle Creek
I-94 to Chicago
I-80 to I-57
I-57 to I-55
I-55 to Memphis
I-40 to I-30
I-30 to Dallas

However, knowing some local information, I'd recommend you stay on I-69 at Battle Creek.
I-69 to Indianapolis
I-465 around the SE side of Indy
I-70 to I-57

Software says this is essentially the same distance and about 30 minutes longer. However, it avoids a VERY congested stretch of I-80/I-94 through NW Indiana. The I-465 bypass around Indy is a piece of cake in comparison. I would plan on overnight stops somewhere between Ft. Wayne and Indy, and again between Blytheville and Memphis. Your best bet for pet-friendly hotels are probably the major chains at Interstate exits, call each property to get exact policy. This will vary - all Motel 6 properties welcome pets - ONE per room - no charge (but call, they may allow a second one). Others will charge you a refundable damage deposit, others will surcharge per pet, some will only put you in a smoking room. The size of the dogs may make a difference - some properties limit them to 25 pounds.

zque
03-04-2010, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the information...it really helped me.

I have two big dogs , one is 100 pounds and the other is 75 pounds :). I guess I have to do my home work before we leave, as some places may not appreciate big dogs.

To be honest thats the only reason I am driving and not flying becuause I dont want to leave my dogs behind

Thanks again , I really appreciated everyone's help

glc
03-04-2010, 08:18 AM
I would guess your best chances of having 2 big dogs welcomed would be in old-style motels which have the room doors open to the outside rather than with interior corridors, and you may have to look at some "mom and pop" independent properties. Yes, you definitely have some homework to do in this situation.

I'm going to be brutally honest here - being that all you want to do is "get there" and aren't going to be doing any sightseeing, I'd reconsider bringing the dogs and just go ahead and fly. I understand the dogs are valued family members, but you are definitely going to have some issues bringing them. I also just thought of something else - you need to research procedures at the border for bringing dogs across.

zque
03-04-2010, 11:06 AM
I would guess your best chances of having 2 big dogs welcomed would be in old-style motels which have the room doors open to the outside rather than with interior corridors, and you may have to look at some "mom and pop" independent properties. Yes, you definitely have some homework to do in this situation.

I'm going to be brutally honest here - being that all you want to do is "get there" and aren't going to be doing any sightseeing, I'd reconsider bringing the dogs and just go ahead and fly. I understand the dogs are valued family members, but you are definitely going to have some issues bringing them. I also just thought of something else - you need to research procedures at the border for bringing dogs across.

Yea i kinda figured it out ..taking the dogs will be a challenge. I found this really cool compact RV for 3 people at www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/our_vehicles/compact_rv.aspx. I am thinking of reserving it. The dogs can fit perfectly

I checked on taking the dogs across the border and US customs and immigration requires clean health certificate .

Anyways I a m so excited and looking for to this trip, especially with my little boy

glc
03-04-2010, 12:08 PM
It's not going to be cheap when you get done with the RV rental and the fuel (you will be lucky to get 10 miles/US gallon, I have yet to see a Ford V-8 get the claimed 14 to 15 even in a 1/2 ton pickup truck), but in your case, I think you will be a lot better off doing it that way with 2 large dogs. Good call, Cruise America is a reputable company. Now all you need to do is plan your route and your driving hours, and have an idea of where the RV parks are around your stops for the night, making reservations where necessary. Make sure you have the necessary documentation and insurance for crossing the borders with the RV unless you are driving your car to the US and picking the RV up here.