PDA

View Full Version : Roadtrip east to west coast

Becca Sophie Felix Max
01-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi, there are four of us, 19 year old English students hoping to drive from the east to west coast of the States over six weeks this summer.

Any information or ideas would be so appreciated - can we do it in the time, are we able to rent a campervan considering we're under 21, would you recommend renting a car and staying in motels or pushing for a campervan, and any idea of an estimated cost?

Any help would be amazing, we really want to see America and just need some idea of whether this is realistic!

Many thanks,
Becca, Sophie, Felix and Max

AZBuck
01-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The primary difficulty you're going to have is to find a car hire company that will rent you any car, let alone a camper van or small RV. Most companies will not rent to anyone under 21, and those few that do will charge you an arm and a leg. Then there's the additional problem that you want to leave the car some 3,000 miles from where you pick it up, another problem, and another large expense. So the first thing you'll need to do, even before you look at airline tickets, is make sure that you can actually get and afford any car at all.

AZBuck

Midwest Michael
01-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Buck is right on, renting a vehicle at your age is almost impossible. The few place that do allow it will almost always charge you about $50 per day per underage driver! That's more than $2000 for one driver over six weeks, and doesn't include the actual rental fee, nor does it include a one way drop fee which could easily be around $1000 for a cross country rental (if anyone will allow that considering your ages).

You should also know that purchasing a car as a non-resident of the US is also virtually impossible, so that really isn't an option either.

I wish you the best of luck, but unfortuantly, we get this question a lot, and I've never heard of anyone in your situation making it work. Really, busses and train - while not a great solution - are just about the only way you'll likely be able to make the trip across the US, until you turn 21.

Lifemagician
01-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Becca, Sophie, Felix and Max

The advice you have been given so far is, of course, correct, and I have never found a way around it.

But don't lose sight of your goal. I was more than four decades older than you when I made my first USA roadtrip, and now, after some 90000 miles on four trips, am planning my fifth.

In the interim, make sure that you do your homework and save your pennies - remember, if you look after the pennies, they will look after the pounds.

Time passes unbelievably quickly, and before you know it, you will be able to take that trip. You will be so well prepared and have a nice budget to really enjoy it.

Keep that dream!

Lifey who wishes you well