PDA

View Full Version : California Trip In April 09

SEANMCATEER
02-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Hi there, I am from Ireland and a well seasoned traveller tot he USA- been in 38 states, done E to W, N to S southern states, etc. So very comfortable in The USA. Last year I did SF along highway 1 to San Diego, to Las Vegas, flew to NYC and home, so all weathers etc.

This year I am booked 5-20 April fly into and out of SFO , have family, 3,6 and 25 (yes!) year old. I have good friends in SF and want to spend some time up to easter sunday with them (12th April). Been in SF 8 times now so home from home.

My delilma is such- we would like some heat while in the USA so that means heading to LV or Southern Calif, I would also like to see Tahoe (again), Yosemite, and perhaps death valley. The natural solution would be to drive to LV and fly back to SFO- but been in LV sooo many times , love it but would like a change.

My questions are:

How cold is Tahoe and is there anything to do if not into skiing? (we are not)
How cold is Yosemite and what can we see/do in a few days driving through ?
Is there anywhere else warm that we could travel to that would amuse the kids , pool etc.
Is San Diego an option and fly back to SFO ?
What routes would I take to ensure no snow etc.

Other options are just to hang arund SF up to Napa to see friends and just enjoy time with friends and no driving. Of course my american friends will be working so I need to be self sufficent which is no hassle.

Welcome views and suggestions as only 37 days to go (so expedia tells me!)

Regards

Sean

Mass Tim
02-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

My delilma is such- we would like some heat while in the USA so that means heading to LV or Southern Calif, I would also like to see Tahoe (again), Yosemite, and perhaps death valley. The natural solution would be to drive to LV and fly back to SFO- but been in LV sooo many times , love it but would like a change.

My questions are:

How cold is Tahoe and is there anything to do if not into skiing? (we are not)
How cold is Yosemite and what can we see/do in a few days driving through ?
Is there anywhere else warm that we could travel to that would amuse the kids , pool etc.
Is San Diego an option and fly back to SFO ?
What routes would I take to ensure no snow etc.

Trying to predict the weather is near impossible, you could, in theory, find snow almost anywhere. Of course, chances are that won't happen. One place I don't see listed is the Grand Canyon. Would that be an option for you?

Lifemagician
02-18-2009, 06:39 PM
While in SF, why not take a day trip to Calistoga to see the geyser (http://www.oldfaithfulgeyser.com/). The little ones especially will enjoy not only it, but also the animals they have there.

Definitely worth it.

Southwest Dave
02-19-2009, 03:23 AM
As Tim pointed out the weather is totally unpredictable that far in advance, although a quick search and you can find Some averages (http://gocalifornia.about.com/bl_lt_temp.htm) for areas. Even if you get warmer days, expect cold nights. You can use weather sites such as Wunderground (http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KTVL/2008/4/16/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Lake+Tahoe&req_state=CA&req_statename=California) for historical facts or current conditions.

As you have mentioned Yosemite and Vegas, it is worth pointing out that any mapping you do will have to take into account that the Tioga pass [HWY 120] will will be still be closed due to snow.

SEANMCATEER
02-22-2009, 03:54 AM
Calistoga- never been there or heard of it- what direction out of SF is it ?

Tioga pass [HWY 120- snow- yeah thats my problem, we would like to catch some heat somewhere and last year in March SF was warm- 20 degress plus at times, could not beleive it. Went up to Santa Rosa/Petaluma and it was warmer. Of course when we went down the coast it was even better .

Grand Canyon-slight problem with Car Hire- not sure I can go there with Car hire regulations, I know I can do point to point Calif Nevada one way , suppose I could try GC.

Apart from LV is there anywhere as warm that we could enjoy the pool, heat etc ?

Ta

Lifemagician
02-22-2009, 04:16 AM
Calistoga- never been there or heard of it- what direction out of SF is it ?

Slightly northeast of Santa Rosa, and west of Sacramento. If you click on the link, it is all there.

Southwest Dave
02-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Hi,

Grand Canyon-slight problem with Car Hire- not sure I can go there with Car hire regulations

I have never heard of a problem if you are heading into the NP. All main roads are paved and shouldn't present any problems at all with car hire regulations.
If you are thinking of going off road away from the NP that would be a different matter.

The Furnace creek resort (http://www.furnacecreekresort.com/) is a popular stop over in Death Valley.